Apply for Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College, Geneseo – The University of New York College, Geneseo is a private liberal arts college that offers a challenging, rigorous academic environment. Located in the scenic foothills of Western New York State’s Finger Lakes Region, the College is known for its academically talented and diverse student body.
With 45 undergraduate academic majors and seven graduate programs in business administration, education, public administration, and law enforcement administration — as well as minors in more than 80 fields of study — UNY’s curriculum prepares graduates to be global citizens who are successful leaders in their chosen professions. The faculty’s international standing reflects this commitment to prepare graduates for success beyond Geneseo by fostering diversity in teaching methods and exposing students to diverse viewpoints from around the world.
Each year, the College awards merit scholarships to incoming first-year students based on their demonstrated academic achievement. The merit awards range from $5,000 to full tuition scholarships.
Incoming freshmen are automatically considered for these merit scholarships when they apply and submit a high school transcript with an SAT or ACT score. The full list of eligibility criteria is available on our website. Students with the most outstanding academic records will be selected as University of New York College at Geneseo’s President’s Scholar Award recipients, who each receive a full tuition scholarship (currently valued at over $60,000).
The President’s Scholars are recognized at commencement, and the recipients are invited to share their experiences with current students.
Students also may be selected for general merit scholarships for outstanding SAT II tests (SAT, ACT) and/or high school achievement. The amount of these scholarships is usually around $4,000 in-state and over $8,000 out-of-state. Once all scholarship recipients are selected and notified, the University awards scholarships to the top ten percent of all other individuals who have completed a competitive application process (based on the number of applications received).
Summary Of Detail of the Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College
The scholarship covers the cost of tuition, room, and board, books, and supplies.
Incoming freshmen can apply to the Academic Merit Scholarship traditionally through the Common Application but they can also apply through the Alfred State Online application.
Each year, the University of New York College, Geneseo awards merit scholarships to incoming freshmen with outstanding academic records. These scholarships cover all costs of tuition, room, and board, books, and school supplies. Incoming freshmen can traditionally apply for these Academic Merit Scholarships through either the Common Application or Alfred State Online application. The awards are based on both academics as well as extracurricular activities outside of schools such as community service or athletics.
The College is the only one in upstate New York’s Finger Lakes region and offers a unique academic program that features more than 50 student-led organizations, including activities that foster diversity and international awareness, collaborations with area colleges, and involvement in professional societies.
In addition to its residential campus, UNY Geneseo has two off-campus programs: the International Center at Geneseo, an ESL education facility located at the Maplewood School north of Geneseo; and The Village Gallery, which is located on 3 acres of land purchased in 1993 opposite the College’s north campus. This facility showcases local artists’ work as well as notable artists from around the world.
Scholarship Host Country: Geneseo, USA
Host University: the University of New York College
Course level Available: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
To be funded by: Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College, Geneseo
The application deadline is February 2023
Documents Needed to Apply for Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College
The documents needed are:
- a current University of New York College transcript
- a copy of your most recent federal tax return and/or social security card
- an official copy of your high school diploma or equivalency certificate (failure to provide an official copy of this may affect eligibility)
Applicants with documents not in English must include a translated English version with their application. Transcripts that are not sent directly by the college can be uploaded as scanned copies or originals accompanied by a letter from the registrar verifying they are authentic and current. Unofficial copies will be returned to applicants without being processed.
Eligibility Criteria for Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College
To be eligible, here are the criteria:
- You must be an incoming freshman
- You must have a minimum SAT score of 1200 or a minimum ACT score of 27
- You must have a 3.5 GPA (change to 3.3?) on a 4-point scale
- Your family’s annual income cannot exceed $180,000.
- You must take the SAT, and ACT and write one writing sample
- You must maintain a minimum of a 2.5 GPA throughout your first year
- You must complete a minimum of 30 hours at Geneseo, with at least 14 in residence
- The selection committee will consider your application from April 1 to May 1.
- Your financial aid package will be finalized after April 15, but you will still have time to make changes or request money for another year.
There are no scholarships for second-semester freshmen (or any other period). If you applied in the summer, you may apply again during the next school year if you like.
How to Apply for Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College
The steps to applying are:
- Locate the appropriate application
- Complete your profile by entering your information and uploading the necessary documents
- Select academic awards that you may be eligible for
- Submit the completed form
- Best of luck!
Benefits of Studying at Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College
The benefits are:
- More than 4200 students from more than 100 countries
- More than 212 Academic Majors and Minors, including over 40 undergraduate minors
- A non-competitive Honors Program with the largest number of distinguished awards (11) in the United States
- The most international students of any university in New York State
- Inventive Curriculum That Empowers You to Design Your Education: Academic Merit Awards at the University of New York College, Geneseo has one of the most innovative academic curricula among liberal arts colleges. You can design your education: to study what interests you or to meet personal or professional goals. At the College, you’re not limited by a general-education curriculum. Instead, you’re empowered to take individual courses within and across disciplines. You will design your curriculum to meet your educational goals and interests.
- Enhance Critical Thinking and Communication Skills: At the College, you’ll have the opportunity to work with faculty in small classes that emphasize close contact with professors. You’ll get additional opportunities through the faculty-student collaborative research that’s available at Geneseo; outside research experience; community engagement; and study abroad programs. By working closely with faculty who are engaged in their fields, you’ll hone critical thinking, and oral and written communication skills—which are necessary for success in every field of study and any occupation.
- Master New Perspectives: You’ll build critical thinking and communication skills as you study in small classes with close contact with faculty. You’ll also have access to faculty members through the Student-Faculty Collaborative Research Program at Geneseo; outside research experiences; community engagement opportunities; and study abroad programs.
- Learn from Innovative Teaching Methods Through hands-on learning, you’ll learn how to improve your teaching abilities through creative reflection on educational practices.
The Academic Merit Awards are a significant achievement, and they are something we should take pride in. These awards reflect the hard work that students put into their schoolwork and extracurricular activities. They acknowledge the commitment of students who go beyond what is required of them to reach their academic potential academically as well as athletically and artistically. We should strive to achieve these awards to be recognized for all of our hard work, not just our academic endeavors because it reflects more aspects of ourselves–our interests, goals, and passions all rolled up into one award.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does SUNY Geneseo give merit scholarships?
Financial scholarships and grants are available to many Geneseo students. For the 2023-24 academic year, SUNY Geneseo has increased funding to merit scholarships.
How long does it take to hear back from Geneseo?
Generally, you will be notified via email of your acceptance within 7-10 days of the application deadline. Upon your acceptance, you will have 7 days to decide whether you accept the offer of admission, and a deposit will be due. Can I study abroad more than once?