List of Best Universities in Namibia-Namibia is an upwardly mobile country. Even though the country just gained independence from South Africa less than 33 years ago, they have been able to achieve political stability. Namibia has one of the best university in Africa. You will get to know about some of these outstanding universities in Namibia and the programs they run. You will also get to learn about different scholarships available and how a student can have access to these scholarships.
List of Best Universities in Namibia
It is a country located in southwest Africa, Namibia. There are diversities of wildlife residing here and some of them are African Buffalo, Roan Antelope, Red Lechwe, puku, Elephant, Tsessebe, Common Impala and Reedbuck. Namibia is a blend of different people with varying cultures.
7 Interesting Facts about Namibia
- It is the only African country with a female leader.
- It was formerly known as Southwest Africa.
- The official language is English.
- It is home to the world’s oldest desert.
- Namibia has some beautiful and attractive scenery.
- The population is about 2.1 million and is made up of several different tribes and ethnic groups.
- Namibia gained independence from South Africa in 1990 and it’s been politically stable ever since.
Education in Namibia
Namibia has one of the highest literacy rates among Sub-Saharan African countries. Education is made compulsory for children between ages 6 and 16. Primary education in Namibia is tuition-free; however, parents are required to pay for uniform, books, stationery and other school essentials. Secondary education is for a period of 5 years (Grade 8 to Grade 12). Students are being given National Senior Secondary Certificate Ordinary Level (NSSCO) on completion of the 5 years.
10 Best Universities in Namibia
- University of Namibia
- Namibia University of Science and Technology
- International University of Management
- Namibian Institute of Mining and Technology
- The University Centre for studies in Namibia
- Ogongo Agricultural College
- National Institute of Technology
- Namibia College of Open Learning.
- Namibia Business School
- Polytechnic of Namibia Business School
University of Namibia (UNAM)
The university which was established in 1992 is a multi-campus public research institute. It is the largest university in the country. It has a total of 12 campuses and 11 regional centers. UNAM is one of the best universities in Africa. Even though the university is still quite young, it has grown to accommodate a student population of over 30,000.
The university comprises four faculties and sixteen schools.
Faculty of Agriculture, Engineering and Natural Sciences
- School of Agriculture and Fisheries Sciences
- School of Engineering and the built environment
- School of Military Science
- School of science
Faculty of Commerce, Management and Law
- School of Accounting
- School of Business, Management, Governance and Economics.
- Namibia Business School
- School of Law
Faculty of Education and Human Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Humanities, Society and Development
Faculty of Health Sciences and Veterinary Medicine and Human Sciences
- School of Allied Health Sciences
- School of Dentistry
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing and Public Health
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Veterinary Medicine
Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST)
It is a public university located in Windhoek, Namibia. The university which was established in 1994 was formerly known as Polytechnic of Namibia. It has two campuses and six academic faculties. These faculties include:
- Faculty of Human Science
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Natural Resources and Spatial Sciences
- Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences
- Faculty of Computing and Informatics
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Harold Pupkewitz Graduate School of Business
International University of Management
It is the first private institution in Namibia. It was established in 1993 and has since been accredited by the Ministry of Education. It is located in Windhoek, the capital city of Namibia. The university offers Bachelor’s, Master’s programs in the following fields:
- Strategic Management Information Technology
- Human Resources
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Business information systems
- Business Administration
- Finance Management
- HIV/AIDS Management
Namibian Institute of Mining and Technology(NIMT)
It is a technical vocational training institute located in Arandis, Namibia. It was established in 1991. Mining is one of the largest contributor to Namibia’s economy. It accounts for about 25% of the country’s revenue. Every year, NIMT produces between 300 and 500 graduates who gets absorbed into the Ministry industry of Namibia.
Courses offered include:
The University Centre for studies in Namibia
It is a tertiary institution that is located in the Khomasdal suburb of Windhoek in Namibia. It has campuses in Rehoboth, Rundu and Oshakati.
Ogongo Agricultural College
The college was founded in 1973 to give out trainings in the field of Agriculture. The college is part of the university of Namibia. There are four degrees offered in this college:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Crop Science
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Integrated environmental Science
- Diploma in Agriculture
- Diploma in Natural Resources.
National Institute of Technology (NIT)
It was founded in 2003. It is the only institution of higher learning in the country that offers well-recognized, NQA accredited and NTA –registered Vocational, Technical and Professional qualification
Namibian College of Open Learning
It is a government owned educational institution, established in 1997. It was created to provide learning opportunities for adults and youths that are out of school.
It has been able to educate over 273,000 students.
Namibia Business School
The school offers four unique training opportunities:
- Thought Leadership Events
- Public Training Solutions
- Business Bite Size Sessions.
- Client Specific Learning Solutions
Polytechnic of Namibia Business School
The institution was founded in affiliation with Namibia University of Science and Technology. It is designed to offer programs that answers to market needs and demands. It turns out graduates yearly that are of great asset to employers of labor.
Scholarships for Universities in Namibia
Scholarship is simply an award of financial aid/ assistance for a student to advance in education. Scholarship could be for primary, secondary or tertiary education.
Scholarships for students in Namibia include:
- Leadership Essay Competition
- Banting International Postdoctoral Fellowship
- SAWISE Scholarship
- Scholarship for sub.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships
- Fulbright Scholarships
- Rutgers University Scholarships
Big Organizations that offers Scholarships in Namibia
- Google Scholarship
- Microsoft Scholarships
- Burger King Scholars Program
- Coca-Cola leaders of Promise Scholarship
- Dell Scholars Program
- McDonald’s HACER National Scholarship
The Generation Google Scholarship: This is set up to help prospective computer scientists succeed in technology and become leaders in the field. Selected candidates are given between 5000USD to 10,000USD.
FAQs on Scholarships
How do you know if you have won a scholarship?
Successful candidates for a scholarship are usually contacted via the email address that was supplied during the process of application.
How many Scholarships can I apply for?
You can apply for as many scholarship as possible
How much is the Coca-Cola Scholarship?
Coca Cola awards $20,000 grants to 150 rising college freshers yearly.
What is a 100% Scholarship?
It means tuition is totally free, you will only have to bear examination cost. 50% Scholarship means 50% of tuition has been taken care of , you will just need to balance the remaining 50%.
6 Tips to winning a Scholarship
- You must know where to obtain the scholarship. For example, you can visit the website of your chosen university to see if there are scholarships offer there.
- Prepare ahead: You may have to write qualifying test for the scholarship award. Also interviews can also come up. So you need to prepare adequately for both test and interview.
- Work Hard: Outstanding academic performance remains the major criteria for a good number of scholarships both internationally and locally.
- Make yourself Outstanding: There are so many applicants for the same scholarship you are aspiring for, therefore you must do all you can to surpass the other applicants. This could mean participating in a few extracurricular activities, volunteering in the community, etc.
- Read all the instructions of the application carefully and diligently: Ensure you read all the instructions on the application carefully so you don’t miss out any important detail.
- Present an outstanding scholarship essay/ cover letter: Your essay should be well written in clear language. It should be concise but of best quality. Avoid all forms of grammatical blunders
FAQs about Universities in Namibia
What is Namibia university ranking in Africa?
The University of Namibia ranks position 29 out of the top 200 Universities in Africa.
What is the largest university in Namibia?
The University of Namibia is the largest and leading National institution of higher education in the country.
What are the best courses to study in Namibia?
The following are the best courses to study in Namibia:
- Manufacturing, Engineering and Technology.
- Human and Social Studies.
- Law, Military Science and Security.
- Health Sciences and Social Services.
- Physical, Mathematical and Computer Sciences.
- Physical Planning and Construction.
- Services and Life Sciences
How many universities are there in Namibia?
Even though the country has 14 institutions of higher education (universities
Namibia is a promising country and it’s a good place to pursue higher education. Namibia is also an affordable country to live in with its beautiful landscapes. In addition, there a number of scholarships are available to help reduce the cost of study.