The EDUFI Finland Fellowship program has launched for the academic year 2020-2023. The Program offers scholarships to Finnish designers, teachers, and students to study abroad in institutions that are members of EDUFI.
Founded by Ph.D. students from the University of Art and Design Helsinki, the EDUFI Finland Fellowship strives for changing the status quo. Aiming to bridge gaps between cultures and professions, this scholarship is an investment in human well-being. In a demanding world where we are all stretched thin with too many things to do, we need more time! This might be as simple as an afternoon of downtime or as complicated as learning a new profession; either way, it’s crucial that after a while people get up again.
The scholarship offers support for in-depth research, fieldwork, and professional development for doctoral students and health professionals who are part of the 15th century AD or earlier. This scholarship will provide financial support to doctoral students or health professionals who have completed their undergraduate studies in Finland and have chosen a topic related to the second millennium AD. The fellowship needs to be either formally proposed and accepted by the researcher or recognized as a work intended for publication during this career period.
The EDUFI Finland Fellowship Scholarships 2023 is designed to encourage interdisciplinary investigation on the history of diseases that occurred thousands of years ago when mankind had not yet learned much about hygiene, nutrition, or age-related changes in nature’s ability to heal itself.
The fellowship is a research grant program, funded by the Finnish Society of Sciences and Letters. The award is designed to support scientific research related to the nature of health and diseases in the late second millennium AD or earlier.
These scholarships are awarded to doctoral students or health professionals who have completed their undergraduate studies in Finland. The candidates should be proficient in the English language. Three separate scholarships are granted annually with a total sum of 1,000 Euros (grant value) per scholarship and a total sum of 3,000 Euros in total for all three scholarships combined per year. The scholarship is a one-off grant and it will not be granted within the next three years from the year of initial funding.
Summary of Details For EDUFI Finland Fellowship Program
The following people received this award:
The Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Finland (MEC) has a program that provides financial support for Finnish professionals who wish to study abroad. The Ministry’s scheme offers financial support funding to choose a 2-year, full-time doctoral degree program at any university or college in the world. The maximum amount that a doctor can receive is Euro 5,500 per year.
In addition to this scholarship, the Ministry also allows doctors to apply for temporary employment as well as training opportunities offered by the ministry’s Department of International Family Medicine (tiedustelut osoitteessa). The EDUFI Finland Fellowship Scholarships 2016/2017 is designed to encourage interdisciplinary investigation of the history of diseases that occurred thousands of years ago when mankind had not yet learned much about hygiene, nutrition, or age-related changes in nature’s ability to heal itself. The fellowship is a research grant program, funded by the Finnish Society of Sciences and Letters. The award is designed to support scientific research related to the nature of health and diseases in the late second millennium AD or earlier.
These scholarships are awarded to doctoral students or health professionals who have completed their undergraduate studies in Finland. The candidates should be proficient in the English language.
Scholarship Host Country: Finland
Host University: EDUFI (Finnish National Agency for Education)
Course level Available: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
To be funded by: EDUFI Finland Fellowship Scholarships
The application deadline is February 2023.
Documents Needed to Apply for EDUFI Finland Fellowship Program
The documents needed to apply are:
- Application form
- University Transcripts
- GRE Scores (if available)
- Letters of Recommendation (if available)
- Essay/Personal Statement
- Proof of financial support
- English Language Proficiency Test (if available)
- Passport (for visa reasons)
- Copy of your CV or personal statement in Finnish, Swedish, or English and an official translation into one of these languages, if applicable.
Eligibility Criteria for EDUFI Finland Fellowship Program
To be eligible, here are the criteria:
- applicant must be a Finnish citizen
- applicant must have completed at least one full year of university studies in Finland or abroad, with an admission to a bachelor’s degree program in 2023
- applicant must have adequate funding for the next academic year
- the grant phase is limited to 2 years – the applicant must not hold another full-time position during the scholarship period
- applicant’s school and/or the National Agency for Education may contribute to the chosen degree program
- applicant’s education and/or work environment must be in a field related to the natural sciences and engineering, information and communication technologies, arts and design, or business
- applicant must have good Finnish language skills
- applicant must have excellent academic performance with a cumulative grade point average of usually no less than 3.7 (equivalent to a straight A) from matriculation through all completed courses in the relevant study program in Finland or abroad.
This program is designed for people who are interested in science or art. The scholarship will support funding for one year, but you can also apply for the Finnish Government Grant Programme for international master students.
How to Apply for EDUFI Finland Fellowship Program
Here are the steps to applying:
- Apply through the website
- Apply by email
- Apply by post (applications with a resume and 2 letters of recommendation sent accordingly)
- Prepare a 3-minute video explaining the project
- Provide supporting materials, such as a curriculum vitae, portfolio, or examples of completed or ongoing research projects or proposals for grants for your project
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your advisor, either
- Submit the required application materials (links to applications are provided on the application website)
- If selected, you will be invited to present your project and describe how it will fulfill the mission of the Global Challenges Foundation at a nomination event in Finland.
- Provide your passport/ID card number and bank details for direct deposit purposes for payment after you are nominated for a scholarship. Please note that this is not required until you have been selected as a winner by our panel of experts
- If you are selected, the scholarship will be awarded in January and all winning candidates will be announced on the Foundation’s website at that time.
First and foremost, as a scholar, you will spend your time doing research independently, and an important part of your work as a scholar is to produce new knowledge in your field by conducting original research. This could lead to the publication of a paper or a book in one of the major scientific journals. At the very least, you should present your research at relevant conferences.
As such, EDUFI does not offer grant funding for Ph.D. students working on their thesis. The Foundation focuses its support on post-doctoral researchers and scholars whose training is complete and who have accumulated significant experience in their field through publication.
Benefits of Applying for EDUFI Finland Fellowship Program
The benefits of applying are:
- Not having to pay for school
- Getting the chance to work in an international company
- A safe, fun, and good working environment
- Good salary with housing allowance, health insurance, and bonus
- A good chance for getting a job with some experience in your field.
‘To apply for this scholarship you should: – Live in Finland – Have a degree or be studying towards one – Be able to do your research into the Scandinavian culture.
Income is enough not to be reliant on anybody’s handouts. The application process is easy, straightforward, and quick usually taking no longer than 2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply and for whom?
You can apply for the fellowship grant if
- you work as a researcher or a teacher in a Finnish university department
- you will be hosting the research fellow
- you will commit to common objectives with the research fellow
- you will offer facilities and equipment for the use of the research fellow
- you will supervise the research.
What kind of work is the grant available for?
The fellowship grant is intended for post-graduate studies as well as research and teaching cooperation in Finnish universities in all fields of study.
We will award the grant
- for starting work on a doctoral research project if the whole doctoral thesis will be completed in a Finnish university. You cannot apply for the grant at the end of a research project or for post-doctoral research.
- for completing a double degree in Finland.