The Ghent University Scholarship Program is a cutting-edge center of world excellence that offers you the possibility to start your career at the exact moment when many new skills are needed in the world. We offer wide-ranging bachelor’s and master’s programs and a policy of international mobility.
Academics at Ghent University
Belgium has always been renowned for its superb academic record. This reputation has now been complemented by the launch in September 2013 of Ghent University, now one of Belgium’s most prestigious universities with three campuses housing state-of-the-art research centers, cutting-edge classrooms, postgraduate sections, and more than 50 different facilities providing students with endless opportunities for study, research and life experience abroad.
- Campus Life at Ghent University
The Ghent University Campus is located in Ghent, Belgium.
The campus is spread out over 150 hectares, and there is an indoor 400m track, an outdoor track, and several sports facilities (tennis court, volleyball court, and basketball court).
The campus has around 100.000 visitors every year (according to the website). The visitors come from all over the world for various activities such as sports, study sessions, and parties. The Ghent university campus is also very convenient for traveling since it’s only 15 minutes from Gent-Zuid Airport located in Bierset.
- Ghent University
Our academic excellence goes even further than this, however. With its global reach and a vision aimed at creating a sustainable future for our planet, Ghent University is now Europe’s biggest spin-off company focusing on research into energy and climate issues.
It is also one of the world’s leading producers of clean energy. As part of the Clean Energy Platform that it runs in cooperation with the European Commission, Ghent University created a new field of clean energy technologies and expertise based on “innovative solutions linked to the use of biomass as an alternative to fossil fuels”
The Ghent University Ph.D. International Scholarship Program is an international scholarship program in which we offer support to students pursuing their Ph.D. The main objective of the scholarship program is to support excellent students with financial needs, who are also eligible for EU or US/ Canada scholarships, enabling them to pursue higher education in Belgium and complete their Ph.D. at Ghent University.
The award aims primarily at international students from non-EU countries who are eligible for a Ghent University Scholarship but are not yet able to finance their studies equally due to financial reasons.
In line with its mission statement, the International Scholarship Programme awards two scholarships each year: one that supports undergraduate study and one that supports the graduate study.
The scholarship covers all tuition fees and maintenance expenses and is tenable for 4 years with a value of euros 14,630.66 per annum.
Ghent University P.hD scholarship for international students
Ghent University is offering Ph.D. scholarships for international students. A Ph.D. scholarship provides funding for overseas candidates to pursue a doctoral program in any discipline offered by the university.
The students will be selected based on academic excellence, dedication to research and higher education, and potential contribution to postgraduate life at the university.
The scholarships are open for all international students who want to pursue a Ph.D. program at Ghent University from September 2022 onwards.
Students can apply for the Ph.D. scholarships in the following ways:
The scholarship has two options with a duration of two and three years. Applicants are required to apply for the Ph.D. scholarships by 15 December 2022 and 14 February 2023, respectively.
Applicants must hold an undergraduate degree from a recognized university (e.g. from one of the following institutions: –
- University of Cambridge –
- University of Oxford –
- University College London –
- London School of Economics (LSE) –
- New York City College (City University) –
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) –
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) ) with a minimum GPA of 3.5/4.
The scholarship will be awarded based on research aptitude, academic excellence (minimum GPA 3.5/4), personal motivation, and international focus. The scholarship covers the tuition fees only.
No specialization is required when entering this program. Applicants may enter the program with an offer to study one of the following specializations: –
- International Business Law
- International Trade Law
- European Union Law
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Tax Law
No special knowledge is required to enter this degree track, but proficiency in English is expected and international background is preferable (e.g., if you have studied abroad or have worked in an international environment).
How to Apply for Ph.D. The Scholarship Program at Ghent University
- Fill in an application form on the Ghent University website: www.ugent.be/en/education/phd/phd
- Choose the faculty and department in which you want to close your thesis
- Complete at least three years of studies at Ghent University. The Ph.D. program is only open to students enrolled in the Faculties of Arts, Law and Social Sciences, Engineering and Sciences, Human and Social Development and Medicine, Biomedicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences who have already completed at least three years of their academic program.
- Finalize at least two years of studies at Ghent University. The Ph.D. program must be finished before January 1, 2022.
- Submit your completed application form and other requirements by June 1, 2025.
Eligibility Criteria to study a Ph.D. Program In Ghent University
If you are an international student with a Master’s degree, we hope to see you among our bright and talented researchers in the future. The selection criteria for Ghent University Ph.D. scholarship for international students are given here:
- Master from a top university in your home country;
- Master thesis topics should be related to the research done by one or more Ph.D. supervisors at Ghent University;
- Non-Belgian nationals who have completed their Bachelor’s degree abroad and obtained the equivalent of an excellent grade point average (12 out of 15 points or higher) are also eligible.
Documents Needed to Apply for a Scholarship at Ghent University
Here are the documents that are needed for the application for the Flanders Ph.D. scholarship:
- A diploma certificate or certificates, including if you have matriculated in Ghent,
- Academic grades from your university (if you’ve graduated) or from previous education (if you went to school),
- Syllabus with the nature of your studies and awards received.
- A short motivation letter, which can be between 2 and 5 pages long.
Ghent University P.hD program 2022 is a perfect choice for individuals who want to pursue opportunities in higher education, continue their professional careers, earn their doctorate and enjoy the creative and stimulating atmosphere at Ghent University.
Benefits of Studying at Ghent University
- Study at an international university with wide-ranging options, which includes more than 300 study programs in all fields, from engineering to health sciences.
- Gain expertise in multiple subjects area simultaneously with a greater depth of knowledge by choosing courses that emphasize subject specialization.
- Use new teaching methods like the flipped classroom, online courses, and e-learning.
- Get a chance to learn from leading academics and experts at Ghent University.
- Work on your research project with the help of Ghent University’s extensive resources.
- Collaborate with like-minded students from all over the world.
- Enjoy international exposure by enjoying exchange programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
In Ghent, people speak “flemish” which is basically dutch but with a bit different pronunciation and some other words here and there.
Whether you’re a digital nomad looking for a new location, offered an incredible opportunity to move to Ghent for work, or have had a chance to move for retirement, Ghent is a fantastic place to live, being the second-largest city in the Flanders region in Belgium.
Though the cost of living in Belgium is definitely high, it is nowhere near as expensive as some other western European countries. This guide will help you navigate living costs from healthcare and food to housing and transportation.