Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship: The HUFS is one of the top three schools in Korea that offers Korean language study and has the largest number of students studying abroad in the world. HUFS consistently ranks among the top universities in Korea for its reputation and quality of education.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is the first choice for international students who wish to continue their studies at an internationally renowned institution. HUFS strives to provide students with an excellent education, preparing them for life as global citizens and enhancing their understanding of Asian countries, cultures, and societies.
This University is located in Seoul, South Korea. Founded in 1965, HUFS comprises 14 schools and colleges:
The College of Asian & African Studies;
The College of Business Administration;
The College of Education;
The College of Foreign Languages and Intercultural Communication;
The Graduate School Humanities and Social Sciences;
The Institute for Korean Language & Culture ;
The International Graduate School, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (I-HUFS);
KIMEP – Korea Institute for Maritime & Environment Protection (KIMEP);
KRISS – Korea Research Institute for Science and Technology (KRISS);
LSMPS – the Law School; Schools are also categorized under three specialized faculties: Arts, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences.
Foreign students must attend a university in Korea for three years. Hankuk University of Foreign Studies is an excellent university that provides educational opportunities for international students.
HUFS is not only ranked among the top 100 universities in Korea by The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, but it also ranks 78th on the QS World University Rankings. HUFS not only provides education tailored to foreign students, but it also offers continuing education and the opportunity to participate in various research programs.
(HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship
The scholarship will cover the cost of tuition, lodging, and meals for up to $60,000. In addition to the financial aid, HUFS has a variety of student organizations on campus that can help you adjust to your new life in Korea!
The Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship is designed for undergraduate students who are coming from abroad and planning to enroll in Korean language courses at Hankuk University as part of their studies. These scholarships will cover the cost of tuition, and room and board expense up to $60,000 with additional supplementary grants available based on need.
Eligibility Criteria For (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship
To receive the Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship, all admitted students must:
- Be admitted as a full-time degree-seeking student at HUFS, starting in February 2019. * Applicants must submit proof of admission by December 15th, 2018. # Note: HUFS does not offer semester or summer school courses. Foreign students who are studying at other universities in Korea without the intention to transfer to HUFS after one semester or within one year are not eligible for this scholarship program.
- Be a non-Korean citizen. Applicants from countries where Korean is the official or primary language are ineligible for this scholarship.
- Be able to demonstrate financial need through an income statement from the applicant’s home country, and/or bank statements showing current funds available for use toward tuition and living expenses in Korea. Students who have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree or above are not eligible for this scholarship program
- Applicants must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0, and a minimum grade point average (GPA) of B in all preparation courses.
- Applicants must demonstrate language and cultural proficiency (TOEFL Paper-Based Test); the minimum score required is 690 in the speaking section and 70 in the writing section. * Students who are not U.S. citizens must provide official documentation of their immigration status to HUFS before they begin their program of study after admission to HUFS.
Courses available for the (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship
The available courses for foreign students are:
- Business English
- English for Newcomers to Korea
- International Business Communication
- Urban Development and Planning
- Management of International Organizations
- Data Analysis and Regression Analysis
- Economics for International Business
- Economics for International Tourism
- Money and Banking
- International Trade
- Quantitative Economics and Econometrics
- International Trade Theory
- International Policy
- International Marketing and Sales
- Economics of Management
- Macroeconomic Theory, Money, and Banking
- Economic Statistics and Data Analysis I
- Strategy for Business
- Strategy for International Market Entry
- Comparative Economic Systems
- Industrial Economics
- Information Economy Seminar
- Business Consulting (with FIB Korea)
- Financial Management (with FIB Korea)
- International Financial Markets (with FIB Korea) -Environmental Economics (1st quarter only with EASHE) -Positive Political Economy
The scholarships awarded are undergraduate students up to 10 million won, graduate students up to 12 million won, and doctoral students up to 20 million won. For a scholarship recipient or family member of a scholarship recipient not to be taxed on the award, there must be no income reported by the recipient in said year.
Documents Needed to Apply for (HUFS) Foreign Student Scholarship
The following documents are:
- Application form
- A copy of your passport photo page
- A letter of intent that explains the reason why you are applying for the scholarship and what you intend to study at HUFS
- Two recommendation letters, need to be from people who know you well and have teaching experience (e.g., teachers, instructors, professors)
- Proof of being a high school graduate or proof that you have completed your Associate Degree with recognized qualifications or are in progress
- Official transcripts (both domestic and international)
- Settlement papers about tuition fees for Korea Universities
- Supporting documents (for proof of recommendation and letter of intent)
- Proof that the applicant is sufficiently fluent in English
- Additional documents (in the case of applicants who have gotten a scholarship before or are studying in another country)
- An official transcript for your current studies, if applicable
- A copy of your passport photo page and a copy of your passport information page
- A certificate from the South Korean Ministry of Justice which shows that you do not have a criminal record
- The essay question is written in English (see below for details)
- Documents about personal data such as family history and personal career
- A letter of consent from the sponsor, if applying for a private scholarship
In addition to the above documents, applicants are required to make an advance deposit of approximately 400,000 won (about 38 US dollars)
Deadline: The application deadline is between the 15th and 30th of December every year.
Benefits of Studying at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS)
Here are some benefits:
- A school with a rich tradition of excellence in foreign languages, international relations, and diplomacy
- English curriculum taught by native teachers
- A wide range of courses and majors for both undergraduate and graduate students
- Proximity to Korea’s business, technology, and cultural industry hubs
- University rankings are consistently among the top 50 universities worldwide.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is a selective university closely affiliated with Hankuk University of Foreign Affairs. HUFS stands in the number one spot on international ranking lists and has been named “Best University” by media outlets including UPI, and Forbes since 2005-06. The school offers English language courses taught by native English-speaking faculty members.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get into Hankuk University foreign studies?
To be able to get a successful admission in Hankuk University of Foreign Studies HUFS in South Korea, students need to complete TOEFL exam with a minimum score of 80. Requirements may vary for each program. Please visit the program page for specific requirements. Requirements may vary for each program.
Does Hankuk University teach in English?
As a specialized university, HUFS offers a number of courses taught in English in the following areas: Asian studies. Communications. Economics.