Kookmin is a private Korean University that was established after Japan’s Independence. It is located in the capital of South Korea, Seoul. It consists of 14 undergraduate colleges and a good number of graduate departments that offer a variety of courses that allow students to choose from. It also has modern pieces of equipment and facilities like a Gym, Library, tennis court, and other academic amenities.
The shopping centers and student aid facilities make the location an ideal spot for students to explore the rich culture of the city. Over 2,000 international students attend the university, making up about 12 percent of the school’s population.
Kookmin University carries out various government-funded projects in subjects such as software, designs, natural science, and engineering, collaborating with universities and other institutions all around the World. The undergraduate colleges are;
- Global college of Humanities and Area studies
- College of Social Sciences
- College of Law
- College of design
- College of Art
- College of Economics and Commerce
- College of Business Administration
- College of creative Engineering
- College of architecture
- College of General Education
- College of Sciences and Technology
- College of Automotive Engineering
- College of Computer Science
- College of Physical Education
The Graduate school at kookmin University also has about five main areas of study in Humanities and social studies, natural science, Engineering, Arts and Physical education, and Interdisciplinary programs in the following departments;
- Department of Korean language and Literature
- Department of Education
- Department of English Language and Literature
- Department of Korean History
- Department of Chinese Language and Literature
- Department of Law
- Department of Economics
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Sociology
- Department of accounting
- Department of Data science
- Department of Communication
- Department of mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of chemistry
- Department of Bio Fermentation Fusion Science and Technology
- Department of International Area Studies
- Department of Forest Resources
- Department of Forest Products
- Department of Forest Science
- Department of Advanced materials
- Department of Mechanical engineering
- Department of Mechanics and Design
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of computer science
- Department of space design
- Department of music
- Department of Fine Arts
- Department of Financial Information security
- Department of Sports engineering
- Department of Applied Information technology
- Department of Nanoscience and technology
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Cross-Cultural Studies
The campuses are located in different areas of Korea, not too far from the University. There are also administrative structures like Bugak Hall, College of Engineering, college of law, college of science, Hyun Sul hall, building 7, Global center, on-campus Dorm, Gymnasium, Student Union, and others.
Studying at Kookmin costs about $4,200 to $5,000 for undergraduate courses per semester with an application fee of #310 and $910 for undergraduates and graduates respectively.
Kookmin Student Life
Studying and living in a new country can be quite challenging without proper orientation and placements. Hence, the provision of student organizations to help international students find their way engaging them in activities with academic and social benefits.
Some of these activities are;
v Visiting Korean Folk Village
v Making traditional food
v Welcome dinner and farewell dinner
v Watching movies and having Korean food
v Attending concerts and experiencing the nightlife
The benefits of these activities are numerous which involve communication with peers who speak languages like English, Chinese, French, Japanese, German, Spanish, and other languages, having access to group assistance or activities, and access to financial aid.
Focused on providing education to incoming students, Kookmin University provides scholarships that aid the financial burdens of students using programs like the freshmen scholarships, SungKok Scholarships, and Graduate and GPA scholarships.
The University is currently inviting international students to apply for the Global Korea Scholarship provides for undergraduate, Master’s, and Ph.D. studies. To provide opportunities to international students, the Global Korea Scholarship is aimed at promoting international exchange in friendship and education between Korea and other countries. Students are required to take a Korean language training course for a year at a language institution on-campus at the University.
For Undergraduates, September in the year is the application timeline while Graduates are to begin the application in February.
- English language
- Food and Nutrition
- Computer Science
- Civil Engineering
- Communication Design
- Forest product
- Data Science
- Public Administration
- International Area Studies
- Political Sciences
- Electronics Engineering
- Entertainment and content design
- Financial Information Security
- Space design
- International trade
- Korean History
- Chinese language
- Material Science
- Bio-health convergence
Other courses are listed on the University website.
- Application form
- Health check report
- Family registration certificate
- Graduate degree certificates
- Copy of passport
- One recommendation letter
- Personal statement
- Study plan
- Result of English and Proficiency test
- High school graduation
- Copy of parents’ passport or ID card
- Applicants must have foreign citizenship
- For freshmen, applicants should have completed a regular high school
- For transfer students, applicants must have or are expected to the first year or two semesters from a regular university
- For language freshmen, applicants must have acquired a certificate of language training.
- Applicants must be 40 years and below
- Applicants must maintain a GPA of at least 2.64 from a previously attended university.
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship, applicants should;
Check the eligibility criteria and see if they fit into the category.
Download the registration form and fill in all sections of the form
Submit the application form with the required documents based on the course of study.
Benefits of this Scholarship
- Full tuition and admission fees coverage
- Bonus for graduation and Korean Proficiency
- Health Insurance
- Airfare ticket covered
- Annual and monthly allowances
- Field trips
- Cultural activities
- Research support funds
- Accommodation and funds
- Language course fee
- Completion grants
Amount: full tuition
Other Scholarship Programs
A list of other scholarships in Korea is;
DAAD Scholarships: International students are supported by the German Academic exchange program (DAAD) where internships are also funded. Aimed at graduates, doctoral, and Postdoc students, the program awards scholarships for research and study visits to institutes In Germany. They also award Research Grants; short-term Grants, summer courses, and full doctoral programs. To apply, candidates should visit the official University sites.
Degree: Undergraduate, Graduate
Amount: Full tuition coverage and a monthly stipend
Curtin University Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students who have an excellent academic background. Offering a wide range of undergraduate and doctoral degrees, the University is open to international students all over the World with Scholarships like the Alumni and Family Scholarship, Australian year 12 Scholarship, Merit Scholarship for graduates, Destination Australia Scholarship, High degree by research Scholarships.
Degree: Higher or Research
Amount: Full tuition waiver and annual living allowance
Tsinghua University Scholarships: there is a list of scholarships available in the University which courses through the Chinese embassy and covers the tuition, accommodation, and medical expenses. Some of which are; the Chinese Government Scholarship, Beijing Government Scholarship, Schwarz man Scholarship, and the likes.
Amount: Full tuition
University of New South Wales Scholarships: The University offers programs in various levels of study and is divided into seven faculties. This scholarship is awarded to support international undergraduates and post-graduate work in the full-time study which includes the International Scientia coursework and Australia’s Global University. To be eligible, applicants must be international students and must be willing to undergo full-time study at the University. Applications for the first, second, and third terms are now open. To apply, students are advised to choose their preferred course and check its requirements.
Amount: Full tuition and allowances
University of Hong Kong Scholarships: The university operates two associate institutes (School of Professional and Continuing Education), overseeing a liberal Arts college. Based in the central and western districts of Hong Kong, the University is offering scholarships in different forms such as; a foundation scholarship, a merit-based scholarship that is awarded to excellent international students. No application is required as they are considered for the bursary. Others are the HeForShe Impact Champion scholarship open to both male and female scholars who wish to study in Hong Kong.
Amount: full tuition
Scholarship programs are currently running as Internationals students choose their course of destination.
For more information on the latest Scholarships, follow us at Yabacampus.com