Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Marriage Visa USA – [Required Documents and Processing Times]

Marriage Visa USA

Marriage Visa USA – Are you planning to bring your loved one to the United States to start a new chapter of your life together? Navigating the complex immigration process can be overwhelming, but with the right guidance and information, obtaining a marriage visa USA becomes a more manageable endeavor.

A marriage visa USA, also known as a spouse visa, allows foreign nationals to join their U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouses and build a life together in the United States.

In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the ins and outs of the marriage visa application process, eligibility criteria, required documentation, and important tips to help you successfully secure a marriage visa for your spouse.

Whether you are just starting your journey to bring your partner to the USA or are looking for expert insights to simplify the process, this resource is designed to be your go-to source for all things related to marriage visas in the United States.

So, let’s embark on this exciting journey together, as we unravel the steps to reunite with your beloved on American soil through the marriage visa route.

Types Of Marriage Visa USA

The United States offers several types of visas for individuals who wish to enter the country for the purpose of marriage or to join their U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse.

Here are some of the common marriage-related visa categories:

1.   K-1 Fiancé Visa:

The K-1 visa is designed for foreign nationals who are engaged to a U.S. citizen and plan to marry within 90 days of entering the country. This visa allows you to come to USA to marry your fiancé and apply for permanent residence (a green card) after the wedding. To qualify for the K-1 visa, you must demonstrate a genuine, bona fide relationship and have the intention to marry your U.S. citizen partner.

2.   CR-1 and IR-1 Spouse Visas:

CR-1 and IR-1 visas are intended for spouses of U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The primary difference between these two visas is the duration of the marriage:

  • CR-1 Visa (Conditional Resident): This visa is issued to couples who have been married for less than two years at the time of application. It grants conditional permanent residence, and after two years, you can apply to have the conditions removed.
  • IR-1 Visa (Immediate Relative): If you have been married for more than two years at the time of application, you may qualify for the IR-1 visa. This visa grants immediate unconditional permanent residence to the foreign spouse.

3.   K-3 Spouse Visa:

The K-3 visa is designed for foreign spouses of U.S. citizens. It allows the spouse to enter the United States while awaiting approval of their immigrant visa petition. Once in USA, they can apply for adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent resident status.

4.   Same-Sex Marriage Visas:

In the United States, same-sex marriage is legally recognized, and same-sex couples can apply for the same marriage visas as opposite-sex couples. This includes K-1, CR-1, IR-1, and K-3 visas. U.S. immigration laws are inclusive of same-sex couples, ensuring equal treatment for all couples regardless of their gender.

5.   VAWA Self-Petition:

Victims of domestic violence who are married to U.S. citizens or permanent residents can self-petition for a visa under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) if they can demonstrate that they have been subjected to abuse.

Required Documents To Apply For Marriage Visa In USA

Obtaining a marriage visa for USA typically involves a two-step process: first, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse files a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to sponsor their foreign spouse, and once the petition is approved, the foreign spouse applies for a visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.

The specific documents required may vary based on individual circumstances and can change over time, so it’s crucial to check the USCIS website and the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country for the most up-to-date information.

However, here is a general list of documents often required for a marriage visa application:

For the U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Sponsor (Petitioner)

  1. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative: This is the primary form that sponsors use to petition for their foreign spouse. It should be completed and submitted to USCIS.
  2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency: This may include a copy of the U.S. passport, birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, or Green Card (Form I-551).
  3. Proof of Identity: A copy of the petitioner’s government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport.
  4. Proof of Eligibility: Evidence to demonstrate that the petitioner and the foreign spouse have a bona fide marriage, such as wedding photos, joint bank account statements, lease agreements, or other documents that show a shared life together.
  5. Affidavit of Support (Form I-864): This form is used to demonstrate that the petitioner can financially support the foreign spouse in the U.S. It may require tax returns, W-2s, or other financial documents.

For the Foreign Spouse (Beneficiary)

  1. Form DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application: This is the visa application form that the foreign spouse needs to complete online through the U.S. Department of State’s Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC).
  2. Valid Passport: The foreign spouse’s passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States.
  3. Marriage Certificate: A copy of the marriage certificate to prove the legal marriage between the petitioner and the foreign spouse.
  4. Police Clearance Certificate: Some countries may require a police clearance certificate or similar documents to prove good conduct.
  5. Medical Examination: The foreign spouse will need to undergo a medical examination by an approved panel physician. The results will be sent directly to the U.S. embassy or consulate.
  6. Affidavit of Support (Form I-864): This form is typically submitted by the petitioner but may be required again as part of the visa application process.
  7. Passport-sized Photos: Typically, two recent passport-sized photos are required for visa processing.
  8. Visa Fees: Payment of the visa application fee, which can vary depending on the visa type.

How to Prove a Bona Fide Marriage for a US Visa

Proving a bona fide marriage for a US visa, particularly for a spousal visa (such as a CR-1 or IR-1 visa), is a crucial step in the immigration process. US immigration authorities want to ensure that marriages are genuine and not entered into solely for the purpose of obtaining a visa.

Here are steps and tips on how to prove a bona fide marriage for a US visa:

1.   Complete the Appropriate Visa Application:

Start by completing the visa application forms required for the specific visa category you are applying for. For spousal visas, this would typically be the Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) and Form DS-260 (Immigrant Visa Application).

2.   Collect Required Documents:

Gather all necessary documentation to demonstrate the authenticity of your marriage. These documents may include:

  • Marriage Certificate: A legally issued marriage certificate is essential to prove the marriage’s existence.
  • Evidence of Shared Finances: Provide documents that show you share financial responsibilities. This could include joint bank accounts, co-signed loans, or shared bills like rent or utilities.
  • Photographs: Include photographs of the two of you together at various times and occasions. This can help establish the genuine nature of your relationship.
  • Affidavits of Support: Have friends and family members write affidavits affirming the validity of your marriage. These affidavits should detail how they know you as a couple and any firsthand knowledge of your relationship.
  • Communication Records: Provide copies of emails, text messages, and call logs that demonstrate regular communication and ongoing emotional support between you and your spouse.
  • Travel Records: If you have traveled together, include copies of airline tickets, hotel reservations, and other travel-related documents.
  • Lease or Mortgage Documents: If you share a home, provide documentation that shows both names on the lease or mortgage.
  • Tax Returns: Submit joint tax returns if applicable, as this demonstrates financial interdependence.
  • Insurance Policies: Include documents showing that you have listed each other as beneficiaries on life insurance or health insurance policies.
  • Utility Bills: Provide copies of utility bills in both names, such as water, electricity, or internet bills.
  • Birth Certificates of Children: If you have children together, include their birth certificates.

3.   Attend the Visa Interview:

When applying for an immigrant visa, you and your spouse will typically attend a visa interview at the US embassy or consulate in your home country. Be prepared to answer questions about your relationship and provide any additional evidence requested by the consular officer.

4.   Honesty and Consistency:

Always be honest and consistent in your responses throughout the visa application process. Any inconsistencies or discrepancies could raise doubts about the legitimacy of your marriage.

5.   Prepare for the Interview:

Review common interview questions related to your relationship and marriage. Be prepared to discuss your history as a couple, your future plans, and how you met.

6.   Demonstrate a Genuine Relationship:

The key is to show that your relationship is based on love and commitment, not just a marriage of convenience. Be ready to share personal stories, experiences, and details about your life together.

7.   Legal Assistance:

If you’re unsure about the documentation requirements or concerned about the visa interview, consider seeking legal counsel from an immigration attorney who specializes in family-based immigration.

8.   Follow Up and Patience:

After the interview, follow any instructions provided by the consular officer and be patient while waiting for visa approval. Processing times can vary.

Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Marriage Visa USA

Applying for a Marriage Visa USA can be a complex and time-consuming process, but with the right guidance, you can navigate it successfully.

This comprehensive guide will walk you through each step of applying for the (IR1 OR CR1) and the K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas.

How To Apply For The (IR1 OR CR1) Visa in USA

Step 1: Determine Eligibility

Before you start the application process, it’s essential to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for a Marriage Visa (IR1 or CR1). These criteria typically include:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen.
  • You and your spouse must be legally married.
  • You must intend to live together in the United States.

Step 2: Gather Required Documents

To apply for a Marriage Visa, you’ll need to collect specific documents, such as:

  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (e.g., passport, birth certificate).
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Evidence of a bona fide marriage (e.g., joint financial accounts, photos together).
  • Affidavit of support (Form I-864).
  • Medical examination and vaccination records.
  • Police clearance certificates.
  • Visa application forms (DS-260).
  • Visa application fees.

Step 3: File an Immigrant Visa Petition

To initiate the process, you, as the U.S. citizen, must file an immigrant visa petition (Form I-130) on behalf of your spouse. This petition establishes the relationship between you and your spouse.

Step 4: USCIS Processing

After filing the petition, it will be reviewed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This step may take several months. Once approved, USCIS will forward the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC).

Step 5: NVC Processing

The NVC will process your case further. You will need to provide additional documentation, pay visa fees, and complete the DS-260 form online. After NVC processing, your case will be sent to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your spouse’s home country.

Step 6: Attend the Visa Interview

Your spouse will be required to attend a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. During the interview, they will need to provide all necessary documents and answer questions about their intent to immigrate to the United States.

Step 7: Visa Approval

If the visa is approved, your spouse will receive their visa stamp on their passport. They will be given instructions on how to enter the United States.

Step 8: Arrival in the United States

Upon arrival in the U.S., your spouse will be inspected by Customs and Border Protection (CBP). If everything is in order, they will be admitted as a lawful permanent resident.

Step 9: Obtain a Green Card

After arrival, your spouse’s green card (permanent resident card) will be mailed to the U.S. address provided. This card is evidence of their lawful permanent residency.

Step 10: Remove Conditions (if applicable)

If your spouse was granted conditional permanent residency, you will need to jointly file Form I-751 to remove conditions within the 90-day window before their conditional green card expires.

How To Apply For The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you are engaged to a U.S. citizen and plan to marry in the United States, you can apply for a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa. Here’s how to apply for this visa:

     i.         File a Petition:

The U.S. citizen must first file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

   ii.         USCIS Processing:

USCIS will review the petition. If approved, they will forward it to the U.S. Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC).

iii.         NVC Processing:

The NVC will send the approved petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

 iv.         Visa Application:

You, the foreign fiancé(e), will apply for a K-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. You’ll need to attend an interview and provide required documents.

   v.         Medical Examination:

You will likely need to undergo a medical examination as part of the visa application process.

 vi.         Marry in the U.S.:

Once you enter the U.S. on a K-1 visa, you must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days.

vii.         Adjustment of Status:

After marriage, you can apply for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) in the U.S.

How To Avoid The Common Mistakes Applicants Make During Marriage Visa Application

Applying for a Marriage Visa in USA can be a complex and often overwhelming process. Navigating the intricate legal requirements and documentation can be a challenge. To ensure your application is successful, it’s crucial to avoid common mistakes that many applicants make.

In this article, we’ll discuss some of these pitfalls and provide guidance on how to avoid them when applying for a Marriage Visa in USA.

1.   Incomplete or Incorrect Documentation:

One of the most common errors applicants make when applying for a Marriage Visa in USA is submitting incomplete or inaccurate documentation.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires a substantial amount of paperwork, including forms, supporting evidence, and fees. Failing to provide all the necessary documents or providing incorrect information can lead to delays or even visa denials.

To avoid this mistake, carefully review the USCIS website and checklist for the specific visa category you’re applying for. Double-check all forms and documents to ensure they are filled out accurately and completely. Seek legal counsel if needed to ensure your paperwork is in order.

2.   Inadequate Proof of a Genuine Relationship:

The USCIS scrutinizes marriage visa applications to confirm the authenticity of the marital relationship. Failing to provide sufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage can be a significant mistake. Common errors include not including enough photos, correspondence, or other documentation that demonstrates a legitimate marriage.

To strengthen your case, provide a variety of evidence such as joint bank statements, lease agreements, photos of the wedding, and affidavits from family and friends confirming the legitimacy of your marriage. Be thorough in showcasing your genuine relationship.

3.   Neglecting the Medical Examination:

Applicants for Marriage Visas in USA are required to undergo a medical examination by an approved physician. Neglecting this step or failing to provide the necessary medical documents is a critical mistake. USCIS mandates this examination to ensure the applicant does not have any communicable diseases of public health significance.

To avoid this mistake, schedule your medical examination with an approved panel physician and ensure that all required documents are submitted as part of your visa application package.

4.   Not Meeting Financial Requirements:

Another common mistake is not meeting the financial requirements for sponsoring a spouse for a Marriage Visa in USA. The sponsoring spouse needs to demonstrate that they have the financial means to support their spouse without relying on government assistance. Insufficient income or assets can result in a visa denial.

To avoid this error, carefully assess your financial situation and consider using assets, joint sponsors, or other means to meet the income threshold required by USCIS.

5.   Missing Deadlines:

Missing deadlines can be a costly mistake when applying for a Marriage Visa in USA. USCIS sets specific timelines for submitting documents, attending interviews, and responding to requests for additional information. Failure to meet these deadlines can result in delays or visa denials.

To stay on top of deadlines, create a timeline for your application process, and set reminders for key dates. Consider seeking legal guidance to ensure you don’t miss any critical deadlines.

Marriage Visa vs. Fiancé Visa: Which is Right for You?

Marriage visas and fiancé visas are two different immigration options that allow individuals to bring their foreign-born partners to their home country for the purpose of marriage and eventual permanent residence. Both options have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages, and the choice between them depends on individual circumstances and preferences.

Below, we’ll compare and contrast these two visa options:

Fiancé Visa:


  • Pre-marital Entry: Fiancé visas (such as the K-1 visa in the United States) allow a foreign national to enter the country with the intent of getting married to their U.S. citizen fiancé. This can be advantageous if you want to marry your partner in the U.S. and have the wedding ceremony there.
  • Path to Green Card: After marriage, a fiancé visa holder can typically apply for adjustment of status to obtain a green card, which grants permanent residency in the country.
  • Quicker Processing: Fiancé visas are often processed faster than marriage visas because they are specifically designed for couples planning to marry in the destination country.


  • Limited Intent: Fiancé visas require proof of a genuine intention to marry, which means you must be certain about your marriage plans. If you don’t get married within a certain timeframe, the visa may expire, and you could face immigration issues.
  • Separation: While waiting for visa approval, couples may be separated, which can be emotionally challenging. The foreign partner must wait in their home country until the visa is approved.

Marriage Visa:


  • Married Prior to Entry: With marriage visas (such as the CR-1 visa in the United States), the couple is already married before applying for the visa. This eliminates any concerns about meeting a specific timeframe for marriage.
  • Conditional Green Card: Marriage visa holders often receive a conditional green card upon arrival, which can provide more security in terms of immigration status.
  • No Need for a Separate Wedding: Since the couple is already married, there’s no need to have a separate wedding ceremony in the destination country, which can save time and money.


  • Longer Processing Times: Marriage visas can have longer processing times compared to fiancé visas because the foreign spouse applies for immigration benefits from their home country.
  • Separation During Processing: Like fiancé visas, couples may be separated during the processing of a marriage visa.
  • Conditional Green Card: While it can be a pro in terms of security, conditional green cards come with the requirement of proving the bona fides of the marriage within a certain period (usually two years).

Waiting for a Marriage Visa – [Processing Times and Tips]

Processing times for marriage visas in USA can vary depending on various factors, including the type of visa, the applicant’s nationality, the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) office’s workload, and the completeness of the application.

Here are some general guidelines for processing times:

Form I-130 Processing:

The first step in obtaining a marriage-based immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. On average, it could take anywhere from 9 to 15 months for USCIS to process this form and approve it.

National Visa Center (NVC) Processing:

Once the I-130 petition is approved, it is sent to the NVC for further processing. The NVC typically takes 2 to 3 months to process the case and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the foreign spouse’s home country.

Consular Processing:

After the case arrives at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, the foreign spouse will need to attend an interview, undergo medical examinations, and complete additional paperwork. The time it takes for this step can vary but usually takes several months.

Visa Issuance:

After the consular processing is completed, if approved, the foreign spouse will receive an immigrant visa, which allows them to enter the U.S. as a permanent resident. This usually takes a few weeks to a couple of months.

Travel to the U.S.:

Once the visa is issued, the foreign spouse can travel to the U.S. Upon entry, they become a lawful permanent resident.

Tips for Expediting the Visa Process

1.   Ensure Accurate and Complete Documentation:

The most common cause of delays is missing or incomplete documentation. Make sure to provide all required forms, supporting documents, and fees with your application.

2.   Use Premium Processing (if available):

Some visa categories, like the K-1 fiancé visa, offer premium processing for an additional fee. This can significantly expedite the processing time. Check if this option is available for your visa category.

3.   Request Expedited Processing:

In some cases, USCIS may consider expedited processing if you can demonstrate a compelling reason for urgency, such as a medical emergency or impending job loss. You’ll need to provide evidence to support your request.

4.   Choose the Right Visa Category:

Some visa categories have faster processing times than others. Consult with an immigration attorney to determine which visa category is the most appropriate for your situation.

5.   Consular Processing:

Be prepared for the consular interview by ensuring all required documents are in order and that you have a legitimate and bona fide marriage.

6.   Stay Informed:

USCIS processing times can change, so regularly check the USCIS website for updates on processing times for your specific visa category and USCIS office.

7.   Seek Legal Advice:

Consulting an experienced immigration attorney can help you navigate the process efficiently and avoid common pitfalls.

How To Deal With Visa Denial For A Marriage-Based Petition

Facing a visa denial for a marriage-based petition can be disheartening and confusing. However, it’s essential to remember that a denial is not the end of the road. This comprehensive guide will provide you with the necessary information and steps to navigate this challenging situation, improve your chances of approval, and reunite with your spouse.

1.   Review the Denial Notice:

Upon receiving a visa denial, carefully review the official denial notice (Form I-797 or Form I-129). This document will outline the specific reasons for the denial. Understanding these reasons is crucial to addressing and rectifying any issues. Some of the common reasons for denial are:

  • Insufficient documentation
  • Ineligibility due to criminal history or misrepresentation
  • Inadequate proof of a bona fide marriage
  • Failure to meet financial sponsorship requirements
  • Medical or health-related issues

2.   Reapply for the Visa:

Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to reapply for the visa immediately or after a specific waiting period. Address the issues mentioned in the denial notice and provide additional evidence to strengthen your case.

3.   Appeal the Denial:

If you believe that the denial was unjustified, you can appeal the decision. Consult with an immigration attorney to assess your eligibility for an appeal and to guide you through the process.

4.   Consider a Waiver:

In cases where ineligibility is due to criminal or health issues, you may be eligible for a waiver. Consult with an attorney to explore this option.

5.   Gathering Stronger Documentation

One common reason for denial is insufficient proof of a genuine marriage. Collect and submit documents such as:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Joint bank accounts
  • Joint utility bills
  • Photos of you and your spouse together
  • Affidavits from family and friends

6.   Financial Sponsorship:

If financial insufficiency was a reason for denial, provide:

  • Updated and accurate income tax returns
  • Affidavit of Support (Form I-864)
  • Proof of employment and financial stability

7.   Address Criminal or Health Issues:

For issues related to criminal history or health, consult an attorney to explore options like rehabilitation or medical evaluations.

8.   Consult an Immigration Attorney:

Immigration laws can be complex, and navigating a visa denial requires expertise. Hire an experienced immigration attorney who specializes in marriage-based petitions to guide you through the process.

9.   Be Patient:

Visa denial cases can take time to resolve. Maintain patience throughout the process and stay informed about the status of your case.

10.                Maintain Contact:

Keep communication lines open with your attorney and stay informed about any updates or requests from the U.S. immigration authorities.

Financial Requirements for Sponsoring a Spouse on a Marriage Visa in USA

Sponsoring a spouse for a marriage visa in USA involves meeting certain financial requirements. These requirements are primarily to ensure that the sponsoring spouse (the U.S. citizen or permanent resident) can financially support the foreign spouse (the beneficiary) and prevent them from becoming a public charge.

The financial requirements can vary depending on various factors, including whether the sponsor is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (green card holder), the sponsor’s income, and the number of dependents the sponsor has.

Here are the key components of the financial requirements:

1.   Affidavit of Support (Form I-864):

The sponsoring spouse must submit an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) as part of the visa application process. This form is a legally binding contract in which the sponsor agrees to financially support the beneficiary spouse at 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for their household size. These guidelines are updated annually.

2.   Minimum Income Requirement:

The sponsor must have an income that is at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for their household size. If the sponsor’s income falls below this threshold, they may need to use assets or a joint sponsor to meet the financial requirement. A joint sponsor is someone else who meets the income requirements and is willing to financially support the beneficiary.

3.   Assets:

If the sponsor’s income is insufficient to meet the 125% threshold, they can use assets to make up the difference. Acceptable assets may include savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and real estate. The assets must be sufficient to cover the required amount.

4.   Joint Sponsor:

If the sponsoring spouse cannot meet the income requirement on their own, they can use a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor must be a U.S. citizen or green card holder and meet the income requirements for their household size.

5.   Household Size:

The household size considered for the Affidavit of Support includes the sponsor, the beneficiary spouse, and any dependents. It may also include certain individuals living in the same household, even if they are not related, as long as the sponsor provides more than 50% of their financial support.

Frequently Asked Questions About Marriage Visa USA

1.   How Can I Apply for a Marriage Visa USA?

To apply for a Marriage Visa USA, file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After approval, the foreign spouse can apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

2.   What Is the Difference Between a CR-1 Visa and an IR-1 Visa?

A CR-1 visa is a conditional resident visa valid for two years, while an IR-1 visa grants immediate permanent resident status. The main difference is that CR-1 visa holders must later apply to remove conditions on their residency.

3.   What Documents Are Required for a Marriage Visa USA Application?

Key documents include proof of a bona fide marriage, financial support documents, medical examination results, police certificates, and a valid passport. Additional documents may be required depending on the specific case.

4.   How Long Does the Marriage Visa USA Process Take?

The processing time varies but typically ranges from 12 to 18 months. It includes USCIS processing, visa application processing at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and potential administrative processing.

5.   Can I Work in the United States with a Marriage Visa USA?

Yes, once you enter the U.S. on a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, you can work and live in the country without the need for an employment authorization document.

6.   Can I Travel Outside the United States with a Marriage Visa?

Yes, you can travel internationally with a valid CR-1 or IR-1 visa and your passport. However, be aware of travel restrictions and ensure you meet any necessary re-entry requirements.

7.   What Happens After I Enter the U.S. with a Marriage Visa?

After entering the U.S., you will receive a permanent resident card (green card) in the mail. This card serves as proof of your lawful permanent residency status.

8.   Can My Spouse File for U.S. Citizenship After Obtaining a Marriage Visa?

Yes, after being a lawful permanent resident for five years (or three years if married to a U.S. citizen), your spouse can apply for U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process.

9.   What If My Marriage Ends in Divorce Before I Get My Green Card?

In case of divorce, it can affect your immigration status. Consult with an immigration attorney for guidance on how to proceed and maintain your lawful status.

Final Note

Applying for a Marriage Visa USA is a multi-step process that requires careful preparation, documentation, and patience. Ensuring that you meet eligibility criteria and following each step diligently can increase your chances of success.

By avoiding the common mistakes we discussed in the article, you can increase your chances of a successful visa application and reunite with your spouse in the United States.

Remember that immigration laws and procedures can change, so it’s crucial to check the USCIS website and consult an immigration attorney for the most up-to-date information and personalized guidance.

Good luck with your journey to bring your spouse to the United States!

Reference – How Long Will it Take to Bring a Spouse to the US, 2023 – Applying for a Marriage Visa USA – Marriage Visa Income Requirements

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like