Top 20 Best Medical Schools In Europe- A medical degree is one of the most prestigious and honorable degree you can acquire. The medical professional doesn’t just come with a lot of prestige but also lots of economic and financial benefits, that is if you are ready to work hard. Medical professionals all over the world are well-paid, most especially in the developed countries.
So if you are contemplating what kind of degree to go for as a high school graduate, you may want to opt for a medical program. In this article, you will discover the best medical schools in Europe where you can get sound medical training.
Top 20 Best Medical Schools In Europe
- University of Oxford
- University of College, London
- Karolinska Institutet
- Medical University, Pleven
- Imperial College, London
- University of Cambridge
- King’s College London
- Varna Medical University
- Medical University of Vienna
- Heidelberg University
- Wroclaw Medical University
- Poznan University of Medical Sciences
- Medical University of Bialystok
- Humanitas University
- The University of Edinburg
- The University of Manchester
- Riga Stradins University
- University of Copenhagen
- Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven
- Universitat de Barcelona
1. University of Oxford Medical School
University of Oxford Medical School is one of the best medical schools in Europe. It was created in 1936. Academic program at the school is split into:
- Pre-clinical phase (age 1-3 years)
- Clinical phase (age 4-6 years)
The preclinical phase takes place in the university science area in oxford city centre while the clinical phase is at John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington, Oxford. The preclinical phase involves a lot of teaching and tutorials in the college while the clinical phase involves a lot of hands-on practical trainings.
To be admitted to study at this prestigious medical school, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum of grade A in Chemistry and at least one of Mathematics, Physics or . Biology
- Write or sit for Biomedical Admission Test (BMAT)
- Must be medically and physically fit
- Must have good communication skills
- Possess problem- solving skills
For further details, visit https: // www. ox.ac. uk
2. University College London Medical School
The medical school located in the heart of London has been training doctors since 1834. The school in affliation with standard teaching hospitals provide quality and world-standard medical education. The medical school operates at the main UCL campus and three other clinical campuses; Bloomsburg campus, Royal free campus and Whittington Campus.
The Bloomsburg campus carry out its medical program via University College Hospital, Elizabeth Garett Anderson Hospital, National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery and the Heart Hospital.
The Royal free campus has its clinical facilities at the Royal free hospital while Whittington campus is located in the Whittington hospital.
University College London is one school that not only trains the students to be the best in academics but also help each student realise their potential.
To learn more, visit https: // www. ucl.ac.uk
3. Karolinska Institutet
Karolinska Institutet is one of the leading medical schools in Europe and the world at large. The school which is located in Sweden was established with a vision to advancing knowledge about life and strive to achieve better health for everyone.
The institute offers one of the widest range of medical evaluation in Sweden. To study in the school, you must have an understanding of Swedish as that is the language of instruction.
The medical program is a 6-year course with a tuition of SEK 1,560,000 for non EU/EEA citizens. EU/EEA citizens are not required to pay any tuition.
To further enquiries, visit https: // www. ki. se
4. Medical University, Pleven
Medical university is among the top medical schools in Europe. It was established in 1974 in Pleven. The school comprises a preclinical base, hospital (for clinical trainings) and research section.
There are 3 faculties making up this medical university:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Public Health
The medical program is for 6 years with a tuition of 7500 E per annum.
To get admission into this medical university,
- You will be required to sit for an entrance exam comprising biology and chemistry questions
- A proficiency in English language is required. (However, the medical school is a 1-year foundational course in English language for those who do not meet the requirement).
To learn more, visit https: // www. mu.pleven. bg
5. Imperial College, London
Imperial College, London has one of the leading medical schools in Europe. The medical school came into being by the merger of several medical schools. Although, the founding medical school was Charing Cross Hospital Medical School in 1823.
Academic programs run by the school are in the following categories:
- A 6-year undergraduate course that leads to an MBBS
- A 3-year undergraduate course in medical bioscience
The school has core campuses at St. Mary’s hospital, Charing Cross hospital, South Kensington, Hammersmith, Chelsea and Westminster.
For more details, visit https: // www. imperial. ac.uk
6. University of Cambridge Medical School
University of Cambridge Medical School is one of the top medical schools in Europe and the world at large. It was founded in 1976. The medical program is in two stages:
- Pre-clinical training- is for 3 years and comprises lectures, practical classes (including dissertations) and supervisions.
- Clinical School –is for 3 years and the following is involved; communication skills, patient investigation, practical investigation, practical procedures, clinical science, therapeutics & patient management.
Performance at the pre-clinical training will determine if you proceed into the clinical school.
Departments at the medical school include the following:
- Public Health and primary care
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Medical Genetics
- Clinical Neurosciences & Clinical Biochemistry
The university is very selective in its admission process. The following are the admission requirements
- High School Diploma most especially in science subjects like Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.
- You will be required to sit for admission test, BMAT.
For more details, visit https: // www. medschl. cam. ac. uk
7. King’s College
King’s college offer an integrative and innovative curriculum to aid your training and development as a medical expert.
The school partners with three of the best & well-known teaching hospitals in London to provide the best medical training. These hospitals include; the guy’s hospital, king’s college and St Thomas Hospital.
King’s college is among the top medical schools in Europe where students get to learn from world-leading clinician and scientists. The medical school is twinned with some top medical schools around the world. The student thus have opportunities for clinical exchange.
For further enquiries, visit https: // www. kcl. ac. uk
8. Varna Medical University
Varna Medical university is one of the outstanding medical schools in Europe. The school offers professional training in the field of medicine and healthcare. It was established in 1961 as a public school.
Some of the faculties in the school include:
- Dental Medicine
- Public Health
Some of the programmes offered include Medicine, Pharmacy, Dental Medicine, Nursing, Health Management, Public Health
The school is equipped with facilities to enhance learning , some of which include lecture halls, digital library, etc.
For more enquiries, visit https: // www. mu.varna.bg
9. Medical University of Vienna
Another school that falls in the category of best medical schools in Europe is the Medical university of Vienna. The university was established in 1365 as a public university. It is one of the oldest medical schools in Europe and even the world at large.
The medical university comprises 31 university clinics and clinical institutes with medical-theoretical department.
Admission requirements into the university include the following:
Sitting for an admission test called medAT, done every summer for new entries. It is done in collaboration with other 3 public medical schools of Austrial namely; the medical university of Graz, the medical faculty at the Johannes Kepler University and the Medical University of Innsbruck.
To learn more, visit https: www meduniwien. ac. at
10. Heidelberg University
Heidelberg University hosts the school of medicine which stands as one of the best medical schools in Europe. It was established in 1386.
The medical program is a 6-year course comprising:
- 2 years of basic science, followed by a medical licensing examination
- 4 years of clinical studies
The university promotes and nurtures professional, intellectual and personal development that results into a life of purpose and distinction.
For more information, visit https: // www. uni-heidelberg. edu
So if your interest is in the medical profession, then you should put in for one of the medical schools in Europe highlighted in this article. One interesting thing about European medical schools is that they have high acceptance rate than medical schools in the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes . There are a lot of Medical schools in Europe that teach in English. Some of these schools include:
- Medical University, Pleven
- University of Nicosia Medical School, Cyprus
- Plovdiv Medical University, Bulgaria, etc.
Generally, getting admission into any medical school in any part of the world is not that easy. It is usually rigorous, competitive and challenging. However, it is much easier to get admission into European medical schools than medical schools in United States.
In Germany, the public medical schools are free for international students. So also in Norway. In finland, Denmark and Sweden, public medical schools are free to EU/EEA students.
- www. mastersportal.com – Where to study Medicine in English in 2023
- www. mastersportal. com – 10+ Best Medical Schools In Europe where you can study in 2022
- www. ox. ac. uk – University of Oxford Medical School
- www. ucl. ac. uk – University College London