Apply For Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand: The University of Otago offers some scholarships for international students, including the International Excellence Scholarships. These scholarships are designed to support and attract talented international students from a diverse range of countries where excellence in research or education can be demonstrated. They are available to undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. levels. The awards provide four years full tuition fee waiver and an annual living cost stipend of up to NZ$33,500 (approximately US$27,000) depending on your course level.
The Otago International Excellence Scholarships are scholarships for international students who have obtained a GPA of at least 6.8 or higher in their undergraduate studies. International students can apply for the scholarship with an Otago International Student Scholarship application every time they enroll in an undergraduate study program at the University of Otago or Otago Polytechnic, and are awarded between $12,500 and $24,000 annually. The award is not restricted to applicants from any country, but applicants from certain Asian countries may be considered more favorably than others.
The scholarships were established by the Institute for Educational Research (IER) to encourage high-achieving international students to come and study in New Zealand. The scholarships, which encourage students to stay on after graduation to gain further experience in their field of expertise, are funded by IER and the University of Otago, with funding from the New Zealand Government’s Higher Education Funding Council, and administered by the University of Otago.
The awards are administered through a scholarship office within each faculty or institute at the university. Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents who have completed at least one full-time degree in a New Zealand tertiary education institution. The scholarship recipients must maintain an overall academic average at least equal to that required for entry into a New Zealand bachelor’s degree program.
Applications are to be submitted each year by students in November. The application form must be completed and all supporting documentation (e.g., transcripts, letters of recommendation) must be received by the scholarship office in the applicant’s faculty or institute before 1 December of the year before their intended study start date. Students are also required to submit a supporting letter from their current New Zealand employer, with a letter of support from their current university supervisor.
This is an annual scholarship for New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, who have completed two years of an undergraduate degree at the University of Otago or Otago Polytechnic at a nominal value of $1,000 per annum.
Summary of Details Of The Otago International Excellence Scholarships In New Zealand
In summary, the Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand are offered to international students who are academically accomplished and have shown a commitment to excellence in their chosen field. Winners of this scholarship will be offered a full-tuition fee waiver for their first year of study at Otago.
This scholarship is worth up to NZD 27,500 and this award is offered annually with recipients able to study any field of study at the University. To be eligible for these scholarships, you must have been enrolled in an undergraduate degree or higher-level degree qualification before the scholarship application deadline date.
Scholarship Host Country: New Zealand
Host School: Otago University
Course Levels Available: Undergraduate, Graduate, and Ph.D.
Program Duration: 2 years and 4 years
To be funded by Otago International Excellence Scholarships
The deadline for application to this program is November 1st, 2022.
Documents Needed to Apply for Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand
The documents needed to apply are:
- Completed scholarship application form
- High school/secondary school or university transcript
- 4 letters of testimonial
- Otago International Excellence Scholarship (OIES) Statement of Purpose essay (1500 words maximum)
- 2 examples of written work, one in literature and one in the humanities, arts, or social sciences
- A list of activities undertaken over the last three years that have fostered their academic and cultural knowledge. -Letter of support from an Otago University staff member
- Any further supporting documentation will be sought.
Eligibility Criteria Needed to Apply for Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand
To be eligible:
- be an eligible citizen of New Zealand
- not have been granted an award from the New Zealand Government in any academic or cultural field
- be enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate offered by Massey University for a minimum of 30 credit points
- provide your details – full name, date of birth, gender, and citizenship status
- export the course you are currently admitted to in your study profile.
How to Apply For Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand
Here are the steps to applying:
- Download the Official Scholarship Application Form New Zealand
- Award Otago International Excellence Scholarships Application Form
- Once you have this form, fill it out in full and attach any supporting documents. Once the form is full, you can either scan or upload it to your email address.
- Then send an email with “AOES application” as the subject line An email will then be sent for you to confirm any details about your application.
Fields of study at the Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand
- Biomedical Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing)
- Geography and Environmental Science
- Information Design (media)
- Linguistics and Speech Pathology
- Physics and Astronomy
- Science Education
- Veterinary Bioscience
Benefits to Gain From Otago International Excellence Scholarships in New Zealand
The benefits to gain are:
- Educational opportunities with a global perspective
- Offshore study as a way to avoid student debt
- Help with a graduate entry in New Zealand
- Opportunities to work abroad following completion of studies
- A mature application process that uses multiple assessments, combined with extensive research before applying for scholarship eligibility
- $23,000 scholarship award
- Excellent English language programs for non-native speakers
- The application process can be undertaken by applicants at any time during the year, instead of applying for a specific cycle.
- Proximity to major research centers and access to world-class facilities
- Access to numerous opportunities, including work experience and networking with professionals from all over the world
- Enhanced career prospects with a global orientation
- Small classes, excellent quality teaching, and small class size create a supportive environment where no one is left out of class participation
Awarded to a student from a country other than New Zealand, Singapore, or South Africa who has achieved excellent academic performance as an undergraduate in one of the fields listed above. The scholarship is tenable for one year, at the value of 5% of the current School fees. The scholarship is tenable for two years, at the value of 7% of the current School fees. This scholarship requires an Otago Entrance Scholarship and successful completion of two years of study with an Honors classification or higher in a relevant field (see above).
Built on their wide experience in international education, applicants to the Otago International Excellence Scholarships will enter a high-quality postgraduate education environment with a small cohort of peers who are selected from all over the world. The University of Otago is New Zealand’s oldest university which ranks among the top 100 universities in the world. It has developed a reputation for excellence across all academic disciplines.
In addition, The Otago International Excellence Scholarships are for people who are studying or have studied in New Zealand and have a first degree from an institution in New Zealand. The scholarships aim to: attract world-class researchers and high-caliber professionals to study at the University of Otago, support them during their time here, enable them to make a valuable contribution back home after completing their studies, and promote greater international understanding through access to education.
The scholarships come with six months of funding worth $2100 (GST inclusive), which is paid through a monthly stipend (paid on the 7th of every month) following confirmation that you’re enrolled at the University of Otago.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does New Zealand offer full scholarships for international students?
New Zealand offers a number of scholarships to assist international students to study in New Zealand. Scholarships are available to citizens from selected developing countries to undertake vocational training or tertiary-level study in New Zealand, or in the Pacific region.
Can international students study in New Zealand for free?
Studying for free in New Zealand is one of the options allowing all students and even international ones to study abroad.
Is New Zealand expensive to live?
Whereas in Napier, you can rent a one-bedroom flat for only $900 NZD per month. That being said, New Zealand is not as cheap as some of its neighboring countries such as Thailand or Vietnam. Groceries, transportation, and entertainment can also be expensive when living in New Zealand.