OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists_ The online applications for “OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early Career Women Scientists” in the Developing countries is currently receiving applications for its 2022 academic cycle awards. If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, kindly read this article as it contains all necessary details needed to apply for the OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientist.
About the Host Organization, OWSD
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is an international organization which was established in the year, 1987.
The organization is located at the office(s) of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) sited in Trieste, Italy. It is part of the UNESCO (a unit). OWSD is the 1st ever international forum to bring together eminent women scientists drawn from the both the developing and developed nations with the set aim of strengthening their duties in the development process and enhancing their strength in scientific and technological leadership. OWSD provides opportunities for research works and trainings, plus career building and networking opportunities for female scientists spread all through the many developing nation’s at different phases in their careers.
OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Award Summary
Award to be Offered By: Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
Country to study-N/A
Program Type: Training
School to study: N/A
Program to study-Read on For Available STEM fields
Application Deadline: The last date to apply is September 15, 2022
Aim and Benefits to Gain From The OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
- Scholars will be granted a Cash prize of USD 5,000.
- All-expenses-paid travels that the student will undertake to attend the Awards Ceremony which is to take place at the yearly meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in the month of March, 2023. The details about the trip will be verified in the coming months and is largely determined by the level of global COVID-19 pandemic restrictions; it may also be that the ceremony is to be celebrated virtually through online sources as Awardees will not be expected to engage in any trip if they judge the restrictions to be unsafe.
Requirements for Applications into The OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
- Every candidate applying for this program must be a woman. Each of the women applying is expected to have received her PhD in any science discipline (within the last ten years). The applicant’s current scientific research is also expected to be related to the field of food security, the area of agricultural productivity and/or the area of sustainable food production.
- Given that from the year 2022 to the year 2026 the awards will see to the call for action as established by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), applicants are also to demonstrate how their research works will be of use to the advancement of knowledge in the field of food security, area of agricultural productivity and/or the area of sustainable food production and to making the proposed SDG2 Zero Hunger, a dream come true.
- The application can add, but is not restricted to, references in the set SDG2 fields of target , example is the universal access to safe and nutritious food; another of such area is in the ending all forms of malnutrition; likewise doubling the productivity and incomes of food producers who are still on small-scale. In addition to that, SDG2 targets sustainable food production plus resilient in the agricultural practices; and keeping the genetic diversity existing in food production in the right forms.
- The OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards are only available to women from the areas of Science and Technology, the field of Engineering and that of Mathematics (hence the word, STEM). Online forms from women in the areas of Social sciences, areas of Humanities and Arts or other of such fields are NOT eligible to apply.
Eligible Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Fields
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences (plus Neurosciences)
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Process, Interview date, and the Locations for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
The applications will be accessed by an exceptional group of specialists in the appropriate fields and who are very much alerted on the challenges facing women scientists in developing nations.
Remarkably, the selection team has conversed at the OWSD Secretariat sited in Trieste, Italy. The selection team were drawn from a wide-range of expertise coming from the ‘City of Science’, bodies like;
- International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
- The University of Trieste
- Elettra Sincrotrone
- The International School for Advanced Sciences (SISSA)
- Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (its international center). Since the year 2020, caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the difficulty in holding a face-to-face meeting, the selection team had the opportunity to focus on a broader of experts who are based also in the developing world. The Selection Panel is headed by “OWSD Coordinator” is with total administrative support coming from the OWSD Secretariat.
Assessment of applications will be determined by the applicant’s achievements in her scientific field, with added advantage to be granted to applicants with strong evidence of leadership skills, plus a spirit of taking initiative and innovation, as well as to the person’s involvement in various developmental and capacity building tasks, outreach plus other civic contribution. Research that shows the use of strong innovative skills and methods (especially when it comes to sustainable development). Applicants who are very much aware of the importance of sex and/or the need for no gender considerations in all of the research methodology, upskills and/or persons with strong interdisciplinary collaboration may be selected as being more advantaged.
The last date to apply for this award is on September 15, 2022. Do well to apply in time as OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists will not be blamed should in case you encounter network glitches while applying on the last date.
How to Apply
Applications for this year’s edition of the awards are welcomed from women scientists who are (or who are still) helping and contributions in the fields of food security, in the area of agricultural productivity and in the area of sustainable food production and whose research works is association with the SDG2 ( tagged: Zero Hunger), and have stayed and worked for not less than five ( 5 ) years in any eligible STLC to apply.
- Applications must be done via the online forms and should be done in English Language
- Candidates are to upload the Official documentation showing that they have a 5 years’ residency in an STLC fit for this offer. The following credentials can be submitted as in place of residence as long as the name of the candidate (as submitted in the online application form) is showing clearly: a statement obtained from the local police office or other municipals, a statement from the population registry office, candidate’s rental agreement, statement of applicant’s utility bills, applicant’s employment contract. This is not the full list of all alternative documents,they are still many others that can be considered. Please contact email@example.com if you are not certain about the eligibility of your credentials and documents.
- Evidence of how the applicant’s research is contributing or has contributed in advancing of the SDG2 ( tagged: Zero Hunger).
- A Short biography of yours (which should be approximately 350 words) . The bio should describe your journey to becoming a very outstanding scientist (to ease stress, it is recommended that you prepare this biography of yours before initiating the application process, all you just need to do after writing it is to copy-paste into the text box)
- Upload your PhD certificate
- Upload your Curriculum vitae
- The list of all publications of yours should be highlighted
- Add At not less than. 2 reference letters (likewise, the reference letters are expected to be prepared before initiating the online applications, it should also contain an official letterhead and is to be well-written and signed by any senior scientists who are very familiar with your research).
For further directives, kindly visit OWSD website
This is a very rare opportunity for women scientists who are (or who are still) helping and contributions in the fields of food security, in the area of agricultural productivity and in the area of sustainable food production and whose research works is association with the SDG2 ( tagged: Zero Hunger), and have stayed and worked for not less than five ( 5 ) years. it is recommended that you prepare every detail needed for the applications before initiating the online application process, make sure to properly name your document folders and for your biography which you need to type in at the online forms, all you need to do is to write them in a separate word folder (to have a proper word count) after writing, you can then copy and paste into the text box. Good luck!