Best Residential Schools in Canada- Locating a good residential school in Canada can really be a huge task most especially if you are a foreigner. This is why we have put together this article to reveal the best residential schools in Canada. You will find in this article best residential schools in Canada for boys, best residential schools in Canada for girls and best residential schools in Canada-coeducational.
You will surely find 1 or 2 schools that will suit your child.
Best Residential Schools In Canada
Co-educational Residential Schools in Canada
- Albert College
- Academie Ste-Cecile International School
- St. John’s-Kilmarnock School
- Royal Crown School
- Trinity College School
- Rosseau Lake College
- Appleby College
- Lakefield College School
- The Hill Academy
- Applewood Academy for Progressive Learning
- Laureate College
- Rothesay Netherwood School
- McDonald International Academy
- North Star Academy
- Glenlyon Norfolk School
- SPIRE Academy
- Nancy Campbell Academy
- St. Michaels University School
- Stanstead College
- Niagara Christain Collegiate
- Brookes Westshore
- Ashbury College
- The Gow School
- Bishop’s College School
- St. John’s-Ravenscourt School
- NOIC Academy
- Merrick Preparatory School
- Bodwell High School
- Queen Margaret’s School
- Queen Ethelburga’s Collegiate
- Houghton Academy
- Shawnigan Lake School
- Nile Academy
- Maple Leaf World Schools-Canada
- Ridley College
- St. Stephen’s School, Rome
- Alberta Ballet School
- Rosthern Junior College High School
- Kells Academy
- Brentwood College School
- Great Lakes Christian High School
- Columbia International College
- Pickering College
- Haven International School
- Montverde Academy
- College Bourget
- Dewey Institute
- Unisus School
- Fulfold Academy
- King;s Edgehill School
- Luther College High School
- J.Addison School
- Great Lakes Colleges of Toronto
- Bronte College
- Canadian College Italy
- Athol Murray College of Notre Dame
- Mennonite Collegiate Institute
- Trillium School
- Holy Family Achievement School of Academie Ste-Cecile
Best Co-Educational Residential Schools in Canada
#1 Albert College
Albert College is one of the best residential schools in Canada. It is coeducational and has options for both day and boarding students. Students from kingdergarten to Grade 12 are welcomed in this prestigious school. International students are welcomed from different parts of the world. Students of this great school enjoy all round learning not only in academics but in Arts, Athletics, Active Citizenship and Adventure programming.
#2 Academie Ste-Cecile International School
The school is one of the best residential schools in Canada with options for both day and boarding students. Academie Ste-Cecile was founded in 1993 and is located in Windsor, Ontario. It is a family of schools that includes nursery, elementary and secondary schools.
Learning is quite easier and interesting as the class sizes are small (average of 12 students in a class) and the student teacher ratio is quite good. Students are well cared for at this school and they get to enjoy family atmosphere too.
#3 St. John’s-Kilmarnock School
St John’s Kilmarnock school is a co-educational boarding school established in 1972 in Breslau, Ontario. The school provides an ideal and experiential learning environment for its students.
Even though it is a boarding school, day students are also welcomed. Students are not only equipped academically, they also get to participate in co-curricular activities such as athletics, arts, leadership and community services.
Residential Schools In Canada For Girls
- The Bishop Strachan School
- Havergal College
- Branksome Hall
- St. Margaret’s School
- Trafalgar Castle School
- Balmoral Hall School
- Alpine Academy
- The Sacred Heart School of Montreal
Best Residential Schools in Canada for Girls
- The Bishop Strachan School
- Havergal College
- Branksome Hall
#1 The Bishop Strachan School
The school was established in 1867 in Toronto, Ontario. It is a girls-only boarding school with options for day students. The school is open to girls from kindergarten to grade 12.
The school equips the girl child to be sound in both academics, co-curricular activities and other aspects of life. Students are also being prepared in this school to thrive and excel at university and beyond.
#2 Havergal College
Havergal College was established as a girls only residential school in Ontario. The College prepares girls to make a difference in their world through its dynamic and creative curriculum. The classes are small which enables each girl child receive enough attention from the teacher.
Aside academic activities, there are also co-curricular activities like drama, art and music to engage the girls and build them up.
#3 Branksome Hall
Branksome Hall is one of the best residential schools in Canada for girls. The school is also open to day students. The curriculum at this school is for girls between kindergarten class and Grade 12.
The school provides an enabling environment for young girls to be nurtured academically and in other aspects of life. Some of the co-curricular activities in the school include Athletics, leadership and others.
Best Residential Schools In Canada For Boys
- Upper Canada College
- Robert land Academy
- St. Andrew’s College
#1 Upper Canada College
This boys-only college was founded in 1829 in the heart of Toronto, Ontario. The college welcomes both day and boarding students. The college provides an enabling environment for the boys to learn.
Students are groomed to be excellent both in academics and co-curricular activities like athletics, arts, etc.
#2 Robert land Academy
Robert land Academy is also a boys-only residential school in Canada. It is a private residential school with military setting. It was established in 1978 in Wellandport, Ontario.
The school is open to only boarding students. The academy instills the values of hard work, respect and perseverance into its boys.
Do you have a son having issues in literacy and numeracy, easily distracted or with gaps in learning, then you should check out Robert Land Academy.
#3 St. Andrew’s College
St Andrew’s College is a boys’ only residential school in Aurora, Ontario. It was established in 1899 and it currently stands as the largest boys-only residential school in Canada.
The college is sited on a 126-acre campus in Ontario. The school environment is set up in a manner to enhance learning among its students.
Tips To Getting Best Residential Schools In Canada For Your Child
It can be really challenging when it comes to locating a good residential school for your child especially if you are in a new environment. The following tips can be helpful in locating a good school for your child.
Tip 1: Attend School Expos
School Expos are good opportunities for parents to check out good schools for their kids. At such events, they have the opportunity to make necessary enquiries, ask questions and even meet the management of the school. Three expos are held in Ontario, Canada. There is one in Toronto, one in Halton-peel and the third in Ottawa. Expos also hold each fall in Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.
Tip 2: Take Advantage of Parents Discussion Forum
You can take advantage of the parent discussion forum in your community to locate good residential schools for your kids. You can speak one-on-one with parents about your need to locate good residential schools in Canada. Before you would talk to 3 or 4 parents, you would have gotten what you want.
Tip3: Attend Open day events of Schools
Attending Open day events of schools is another great way to get more details about a school. You have the opportunity to check out the school facilities, its environment and also ask important questions.
Pros and Cons of Residential Schools in Canada
Pros of Residential Schools in Canada
- Parents have more free time to attend to life, career and other things when their children attend residential schools.
- Students have all the time to invest completely in their academics.
- Children get to meet and interact other kids from different background, ethnicity, belief system, etc.
- The Residential school system helps a child to be independent and prepares him/her for university life and life after school.
- A child in residential school has stability, most especially in times when the parents have to move from one location to another due to job, career, etc.
- Students in residential schools develop more sense of responsibility than those in day school.
- Residential schools builds discipline in young people.
Cons of Residential Schools in Canada
- Peer pressure and influence is a major concern when it comes to residential schools.
- Residential schools are much more expensive than day schools.
- Life can be boring and monotonous in a residential school.
- Building friendship and relationships outside the school walls may be difficult.
- Bullying and other negative vices among teenagers is more rampant in residential schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
In residential schools, children have more control over their activities, schedules than those in day school. Also children in residential schools quickly grow up to attain independence faster than in day school.
According to experts, a child should be matured enough to be able to express his feeling and thoughts clearly before allowing such child to leave for a residential school. Age 9 is the least age ideal for a residential school.
Residential schools have healthcare professionals on-duty 24/7. If the illness is a mild one, the child will be taken care of. But in times when the sickness is severe, the parents will be contacted so they can take the child for advanced treatment in a hospital of their choice.
Even though residential schools has its constraints, the benefits far-outweighs the cons. Once you can locate a good residential school in Canada, most of the constraints would be taken care of. This article has been on the best residential schools in Canada, hope it was helpful?
- www. myvisasource.com – The Top Private Boarding Schools in Canada for International Students
- www. ourkids.net – Types of Schools
- www. smapse.com – TOP-88 Boarding Schools in Canada For International Students