Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students: Oxford is undoubtedly one of the most prestigious institutions in the world and admission is extremely competitive. However, with around 250,000 applications received every year, there are still opportunities for those without a background in the academic arena to get their foot in the door. The Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students are an opportunity for exceptional individuals from all over the world to study at one of Britain’s most prestigious universities.
The goals of this scholarship include building a diverse and internationally-minded community that will continue strong academic roots within Oxford University as well as serve as ambassadors for their home country throughout Europe. This scholarship is given by The Rhodes Trust, which has been funding scholarships since 1902 and was established by Cecil Rhodes.
Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University
Oxford has a lot of scholarships available to students from all over the world and it does not matter how old you are before applying. All who qualify for the scholarships will be given funds for their studies at Oxford’s renowned university. The awards are given out each year in October and October is also when tickets for Oxford’s famous football match against Cambridge University are sold.
1,000 Rhodes Scholarships (The average amount of which goes to £30,000)
This scholarship has come to be known as the most prestigious scholarship for international students. The 1,000 scholarships are expected to be awarded by 2022. There will be 1,000 scholarships for international students who meet the eligibility criteria of having an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.8 and a score over 700 on the verbal section of the SAT IUCAT test. This is a very inclusive program with applicants from all over the world who demonstrate leadership and academic excellence across their education and research backgrounds.
5,000 Fulbright Scholarships
This scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Oxford, including tuition fees. You are also eligible for other benefits such as accommodation, subsistence allowance, and a fee waiver. If you are interested in applying for any variety of Oxford studies.
1,800 Marshall Scholarships
The scholarship is valued at $90,000 over three years and covers tuition fees, accommodation, and a maintenance stipend. It is awarded to outstanding American students without regard to financial need who plan to pursue an undergraduate degree at Oxford University in the UK.
20,000 Gates Cambridge Scholarships
The scholarship is open to students aged 17-19 who have completed their GCSEs with a grade of A* to B and an average of 75%. The 20,000 Gates Cambridge Scholarships 2022 will cover the cost of tuition fees for the awardees. It’s not just about providing financial support – it’s about changing lives and making the world a better place by promoting access to education across the globe.
The scholarship has been awarded in partnership with Cambridge University since 2007 and was created after researching how best to empower people around the world. Recent studies show that there are consequences for children who are not afforded a quality education – lack of educational attainment can result in outcomes such as unemployment, vulnerability, illness, and crime.
Eligibility Requirements for the Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students
To be eligible;
- You must be over 17 years old.
- If you are from a low-income country or area, you may be eligible for additional funding to cover some or all of your fees.
- If you are applying for the first year of a four-year undergraduate course, please note that applicants to Oxford University and other UK universities will usually only receive funding for the first year at this time.
- Applications will NOT be considered if they come from high schools in low-income counties that are ineligible for government support, as identified by the World Bank’s list of IDA (International Development Association) countries and areas.
- You must be an International Student. We will not consider applicants who are (or were) already receiving any Commonwealth scholarship, or who are (or were) in receipt of a grant or funding under any UK Government scheme.
- We will also not consider applicants who have previously been awarded the Scholarship at one of the other leading UK universities.
- You must be a full-time candidate at university and live at home during your studies.
Documents Needed to Apply for Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students
The following documents are:
• A letter from your current university addressed to Vice-Provost (International and Lifelong Learning)
• Copy of your university’s official transcript
• Certificate of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)
• Proof of two referees recommending you for the study program, including: – One academic letter citing reasons for a recommendation – One personal letter citing reasons for a recommendation – Any other supporting documents as approved by the International Office.
• £25 for each referee recommended for the course, who will be interviewed by the relevant department, and £50 if your referees are overseas.
• Please note that we will use these funds to support students studying abroad at Oxford.
• Two passport-sized photographs
• Bank Statement / Proof of Payment (for any applicable fees)
• E-mail address and contact number to be used when contacting you about your application.
Available Courses in Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University
Some of the courses are;
- Philosophy and Ethics
- Natural Sciences (including Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics)
- Social Science (including Economics, History, and Politics)
- Creative Arts (including Music, Drama, and Architecture)
- Humanities (including Classics, History, and Languages)
- Modern Languages (including French, German and Italian)
- Social Sciences Career Opportunities
- Medicine in England
- Philosophy in Oxford
- Medical Careers in the US.
- Schools of Political Science in the US.
- Economics Courses Offered at Yale University.
- Engineering Education in Oxford
Tuition fee at Oxford University for International Students
The tuition fee at the University for international students is, in general, 13,040 pounds a year. This compares to the monthly fee of just over 1,000 pounds per annum. The annual tuition fee covers all your financial needs (with some exceptions for accommodation which will be charged separately).
However, some majors are more expensive than others and could cost you as much as 38,664 pounds a year for three years of study.
International students who wish to apply for a scholarship that is funded by outside bodies must fulfill certain requirements such as having to pass a test before receiving the scholarship.
Benefits of Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students
The benefits are:
- A world-class education
- English skills development
- A prestigious global network of scholars
- Specifically focused programs for international students that build on Oxford’s strengths in humanities and science.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship offered to students who demonstrate outstanding academic merit and strong leadership potential.
- These scholarships are available, worldwide, to study most subjects at any university anywhere in the world. It’s worth considering an opportunity to study with Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students!
The Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University allow you to specialize in your studies. Scholarship holders can take up a course of their choice once they are admitted to pursue graduate study in the chosen discipline. As one of the best universities in the world, it is worth considering applying for a Rhodes Scholarship if you wish to gain an education of superior quality. It is not just your standard degree that would be given at any university! You will be able to hold your own amongst scholars from every country around the globe.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Rhodes Scholarship supports an international cohort of students for at least two years in a degree program at Oxford University. Thirty-two Rhodes Scholars come from the United States each year with other Rhodes scholars coming from countries around the world.
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate award which enables talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.