How To Study Artificial Intelligence In Nigeria – The world is fast becoming a digitalized world where everything depends on Technology.
These days we see how technology has affected, our living, from the food we eat, health, our weather, how technology is used to hack weather and even at the place of work.
Any program that focuses on artificial intelligence building is in sort for in this modern world. Studying any programs that are related to the field of Artificial Intelligence is rewarding around the world.
The deal now is how many institutes do offer related programs in the field. If you are a science student and interested we would be looking at how you can study Artificial Intelligence and build a career out of it.
In Nigeria today, there are limited universities that run programs in Artificial Intelligence also known as AI. If one would study Artificial Intelligence in Nigeria they are some schools you should target in order to make it big in the field. Which we would discuss in this write-up.
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
From the term Artificial Intelligence, it is assumed that computers can do what intelligent beings can do, normal robots are limited. Since the inception of Artificial Intelligence proponents, robots are now doing advanced things intelligent beings will do.
Artificial Intelligence is the ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks that only intelligent beings can perform. Artificial Intelligence, AI does what intelligent beings can do such as keeping interaction, ability to learn, reason, plan and be creative.
In the nearest future, it is assumed that AI that would be developed would be able to do all these tasks that are related to human beings.
Since the inception of advanced computers or digital computers, this has given room to the inception of AI. The first ever recorded Artificial Intelligence was introduced in the mid-20th century.
It was introduced by Alan Mathison Turing, it was a computing machine with limitless memory with a scanner that moves back and forth through the memory, symbol by symbol reading and writing further symbols. This gave way to other Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence Programs In Nigeria
In Nigeria to build a career in Artificial Intelligence, you would need to go through some academic programs. Finding the best programs for Artificial Intelligence may be difficult, however, here are some courses you can take to pursue a career in Artificial Intelligence.
These Programs, Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Mobile Computing, Geoinformatics and GIS, Software Engineering, Database Systems, Computational Intelligence, Data Analytics and Business Intelligence, Artificial Intelligence and Expert systems, Data Management, Data Science and Technology, IT and Business Analytics and others.
Schools that offer Artificial Intelligence Programs in Nigeria
Though not all schools are equipped to give the best in Artificial Intelligence training in Nigeria, however, there are some great schools you can enrol with to get the best out of Data Analysis Programs.
Here are some Universities to enrol with to get the best in Artificial intelligence;
- Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo
- Covenant University, Ota, Ogun.
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun.
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna.
- University of Lagos, Yaba, Lagos.
- African University of Science and Technology, Abuja.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa, Anambra.
- University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers.
- University of Uyo, Cross Rivers.
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo, Ogun.
- Lead City University, Ibadan, Oyo.
- Iginedion University, Okada, Edo.
- Nile University, Abuja.
- National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos.
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nasarawa.
- American University of Nigeria, Yola, Adamawa
These are some of the best schools in Nigeria you can enrol with to get the best in Artificial intelligence. Meanwhile, it is also advisable to keep advancing your skill in the field of Artificial Intelligence. There are also other diploma courses you can take online or at an institute to advance your skills.
You can take diploma courses like Machine learning Using Python Programming Language, Machine Learning with Matlab, and others. You can search for institutes and their cost to further train yourself in these programs. Visit this link for more.
General Requirements for Artificial Intelligence in Nigerian Universities
Artificial Intelligence’s area of specialization is very competitive in the field of computer science and there is a lot of scrutinising in this field. To get admitted into any university offering this course you will need to do well in UTME, PostUTME and school examination exercises.
You must have completed your O’Level with good grades, having credit passes in any of the required subject combinations. For UTME, you should have at least five credit passes in your SSC including English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics or Biology.
While for Direct Entry, students should have two A-Level passes in science subjects including Mathematics or NCE Merit in Mathematics and one other science or social science subject.
UTME Examination Subject Combination
If you are planning to gain admission through UTME for the Artificial Intelligence program in any Nigeria University, you should know the best subjects to combine for the test. Here is a great combination for UTME;
- Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
In summary, to become a professional Artificial Intelligence Specialist,
- You must attain a secondary school certificate.
- Complete a Bachelor’s degree in any Artificial Intelligence program.
- Pursue a Master’s Degree to advance your skills
- And lastly, earn more certification training to boost your skills.
Skills Needed to Become an Artificial Intelligence Scientist
To become a professional in the field of Artificial Intelligence, you would need some skills which include;
- Students must possess Technical skills which would include, Programming skills, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics Skills, Spark and Big Data Technologies, Algorithms and Frameworks.
- And also, Soft Skills which would include, Problem-Solving Skills, Domain Expertise, Teamwork, Communication Skills, Time Management, Business Intelligence, and Critical Thinking.
Artificial Intelligence is one of the sorts of programs in our modern world, we practically depend on Artificial Intelligence also known as AI, the reason Artificial Intelligence is sorted for. Around the world, the program is one of the areas of specializations that are in demand. There are several institutions out there offering this Program.
AI coursework is a field that needs serious concentration. How do you study artificial intelligence in Nigeria or how do you become an artificial intelligence specialist in Nigeria, Because there are few schools that offer the program, with our list of schools, requirements and other information, you should be able to navigate your way to the program.
- Britannica.com – Artificial Intelligence, (AI)
- Datalab.com.ng – Universities Offering Data Science in Nigeria
- Edurank.org – 8 Best Universities for Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Nigeria
- Simplilearn.com – How to Become an Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engineer; Roles, Skills and More