How To Study Physics In Nigeria – Physics is one of the driving forces of other scientific studies. Physics intertwines with other science as an advancement in any physics theory affects other scientific fields. Physic is like the basis of everything in life.
If you are planning to study physics in Nigeria, then you should be ready to give 100 per cent concentration, because physics is a field that requires utmost concentration. A failure to get it right leads to a bigger problem.
What we enjoy today, the technologies, facilities even to the level of agriculture, what we now know as Agrophysics. So you see that physics is an essential aspect of science.
John Twelve Hawks once said that “Many physicists these days sound like the Delphic oracle – with equations” in essence physics tends to provide arithmetic answers to problems, if followed appropriately then you get accurate results.
What is Physics?
As one of the oldest science, physics has a critical role in beings and the environment. Because of its relation to other science, physics is one of the most complicated science ever. Physics uses several laws from other sciences to understand the natural world.
Physics is the scientific study of nature, in relation to the laws and properties of matter and the forces which act upon natural objects. In other words, physics tends to bring about explanations comprehensive enough that explain unusual phenomena.
To further explain this, physics studies the natural world and the interactions between objects and energy in a given environment. Physic is a broad science.
Reasons You Should Study Physics
Physics is a discipline that needs some great skills if you want to succeed in the field. It is one of the most prominent sciences that seeks to understand the world and the Universe.
Physics comes with a lot of f benefits and reasons you would want to go into it.
- If you are an inquisitive person who wishes to understand why the world works the way it does then Physics is for you. Physics is all about understanding why the apple fruit drops on the flow and does go up back, and a lot of whys. Physicists ask a lot of questions surrounding the laws of the universe.
- Elements of the world evolve, as it changes overtime, you literally need to provide an answer, with physics you are up and doing, always finding solutions. Theories that were once important might have a new aspect.
- With Physics you can always find solutions through critical thinking which is a must-have for anyone in the field of physics, you should be ready to think and prefer solutions. This is also an advantage to your skill sets as many jobs need one who can think and provide solutions.
- Many might think as a physics there are limited job opportunities, however, the case is the reverse. Having a degree in Physics empowers you to go into different fields. In fact, there is almost no sector a physics graduate can not go into, Government, Education, Business, Petroleum and Gas, Engineering, Construction, Health, Finance, Technology and more. All that is required is enhancing your skills.
- And lastly, if you are interested in technology, physics is also a great option. Physics is one field that drives technological advancements and impacts society, the environment and the economy. Physics is never a boring field.
Courses Available in the Field of Physics
Physics is a field that is linked to many other fields, as it has so many branches. There are many branches in the field of physics, they include, Acoustics, Astronomy, Chaos, Chemical physics, Astrophysics, Atomic Physics, Nuclear Physics, Cosmology, Computational Physics, Biophysics, Cryophysics, Cryogenics, Low-Temperature Physics, Electronics, Geophysics, Laser Physics, High Energy Physics, Mechanics, Molecular Physics, Nanotechnology, Mathematics Physics, High-Pressure Physics, Meteorology and weather Physics, Optics and Light Physics, Particle Physics, Quantum Gravity, Plasma Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Physics, Relativity, Thermodynamics and many others.
All these include both in your Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels.
Universities that Offer Physics in Nigeria
There are several Universities in Nigeria that offers the program Physics in Nigeria. Here is a list of schools you can enrol with to study physics;
- Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, Edo.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna.
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada, Abuja.
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti.
- Achievers University, Owo, Ondo.
- Bayero University, Kano.
- University of Benin, Benin, Edo.
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin, Edo.
- Bowen University, Iwo, Osun.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, Bauchi.
- University of Calabar, Cross Rivers.
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, Anambra.
- Cross River State University of Technology, Cross Rivers.
- Caleb University, Ikorodu, Lagos.
- Chrisland University, Owode, Ogun.
- Delta State University, Abraka, Delta.
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo.
- Ekiti State University, Ekiti.
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Oyo.
- Evangel University, Akaeze, Ebonyi.
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi.
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa.
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe.
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun.
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun, Delta.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu.
- Gombe State University, Gombe.
- Gombe State University of Science and Technology, Gombe.
- Hallmark University, Ijebu-Itele, Ogun.
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo.
- University of Ibadan, Oyo.
- University of Ilorin, Kwara.
- Imo State University, Owerri, Imo.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, IKeje-Arakeji, Osun.
- University of Jos, Jos.
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna.
- Koladaisi University, Ibadan, Oyo.
- Kogi State University, Anyigba, Kogi.
- Kano University of Science and Technology, Kano.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin, Kwara.
- University of Lagos, Yaba, Lagos.
- University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, Osun.
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Ondo
- River State University, Rivers.
- Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos.
- Niger Delta University, Yenagoa, Bayelsa.
You can further visit this link for more schools, https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
General Admission Requirements
To study Physics in any university means you must have completed O-Level, written UTME, pass both UTME and PostUTME or made a good or admittable grade through Direct-Entry.
Here is a general admission requirement for both UTME and PostUTME.
To be qualified to pursue Physics in any university, the student must have 5 O-Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any other Science subject from Further Mathematics and Biology or Agricultural Science.
While for Direct-Entry, students must have NCE or Two A-Level passes in Physics and Mathematics or Chemistry.
Now that you have your requirements complete, it is also advisable to know the necessary UTME subject combination, it is advisable to combine Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry or Biology.
You can check for more special considerations from universities on admission, https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
Skills Needed to Study Physics
As stated earlier, physics is a diverse and research-intensive discipline, with loads of thinking and trying to find solutions. To excel in the discipline you some critical skills, these include;
- Problem-solving and Scientific Reasoning
- Arithmetic skills
- Good study habit
- Technical Knowledge
- Teamwork skills.
Physics is a critical field of scientific study which try to explain the phenomenon of several activities in the world and universe in relation to energy. Physics is one of the oldest sciences.
Natural science is a discipline that demands one’s utmost critical thinking and problem-solving skills as a student, you would be doing a lot of critical, it is, however, a rewarding discipline that cut across all disciplines. We hope with this you should have insight into your journey to the discipline of Physics.
- kidadl.com – 60 Best Physics Quotes from Famous Scientists
- Universalclass.com – What is physics and Physics important?
- Britannica.com – Physics
- Study.com – What is physic
- superprof.co.uk – There are so many Advantages to Studying Physics
- Thoughtco.com – Skills needed to study physics
- Nigerianscholars.com – UTME Brochure 2022/23