How To Study To Become A Doctor – To become a Doctor is a journey of intensive work. The profession is highly acknowledged among people. However, if you are planning on becoming one then you have to get it right.
There are over a million doctors around the world, which is still not enough for the pressing health issues. In 2020, health sectors around the world, it was made to understand that medical practitioners are needed greatly.
As the population grows, people would need more physicians to attend to their pressing health issues. Without these medical practitioners, I wonder what it would look like.
So if you choose to become a medical doctor, there are steps you would need to take and the fact is that you are to pay attention to every detail on your journey to becoming a medical doctor.
The medical line is one of the most rewarding and prestigious professions, career-wise you tend to live a rewarding one. So with our guide on how to study to become a doctor, you should be able to excel immensely.
Who is A Doctor?
Once you are certified to treat or heal people through medical practices, you automatically become a doctor. Meaning you must have gone through medical practices, and intensive training and you are certified, then you are referred to as a Doctor.
A doctor is a physician (Someone) who is certified and has the experience to practice medicine, to help treat or restore physical and mental health. Doctors are very important to society, as they keep society moving.
Skills Needed to Become A Doctor
To be a Doctor there are skills you will need to build on which are very necessary for your progress in the profession. You would be needing both hard skills and soft skills, here are some skills you will need to be a Doctor;
For Hard Skills, which are the skills acquired through training; they would include;
- Clinical Knowledge; this is the transferred skill gotten while in the institution and others.
- ICT skills would be needed and if necessary,
- Foreign Language skills, at least one.
While for the Soft skills, this will include;
- Communication skills
- Problem-Solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Decision making
- Leadership skills
- Emotional intelligence, very essential
- Ability to work under pressure
Now that we have established who a doctor is and the skills needed to become one, then how do you become one.
How to Become A Doctor
To become a Doctor, you have to go through Academic training, here you have to learn the act, develop the knowledge and get certified. Here are the steps to becoming a doctor.
Get A Degree
The first and most important aspect of becoming a doctor is going to school for clinical knowledge. In Nigeria, Medical students spend 5 to 6 years in school studying. So firstly students must have 5 credit passes in their O-Level to include; English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for UTME.
While for Direct Entry students must have A -Level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology in addition to the UTME requirements or BSC BOS, etc in relevant programmes.
You can visit this link for more https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
It is also great to know the subject combination for Medicine in UTME which should include English Language, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
Once you complete your UTME and get admitted, then the next step is to study intensively for the next 5 to 6 years, during your study, your study would be divided into levels, which include course work in your 100 Level to 200 level, while from 200L to 300L would be your Pre-Clinical Level, and 300L to 600L is your Clinical Level.
Medicine is interesting, however, can be very intensive.
After your graduation from medical school and induction is done, then you are required to enrol for MDCN License which would last for 24 months. This period is what is referred to as Housemanship which lasts for one year.
Once this is done and NYSC completed then you can prepare your CV for the real world.
Universities/Schools for Medical Studies in Nigeria
There are several medical schools or universities you can train to become a medical practitioner. Here is a list of institutions you can enrol with to become a doctor;
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI), Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences (OSUMS)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
There are other schools you can enroll with, you can visit the link for more https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
Area of Specializations
- Palliative Medicine
- Primary care
There are other areas you can specialize in to become a doctor, see the link for more.
Benefits of Being A Doctor
As stated earlier, being a medical practitioner comes with a lot of benefits, but it also comes with a lot of hustle or challenges. However, here are some of being a medical doctor;
- The medical profession is a high-paying profession, and one of the benefits is the high salary.
- Medical practitioners have the opportunity to travel as their demand is high.
- Job opportunity is on the high side for a medical practitioner.
- Job Stability, as a medical doctor you are sure to get a secure job.
- Medical doctors have the opportunity to grow in their practice.
- And lastly, medical doctors always have the opportunities to impact positively the lives of their patients.
To become a medical doctor, then you have to sacrifice a lot, however, the reward is worth working for. Medical study is a very intensive one, with a lot of clinical work and study. Doctors around the world are people who try to improve the lives of their patients, the reason their demand is on the high side.
To become a doctor, one would need to earn a degree from a university or school of medicine and be certified to practice which all might take 6 to 7 years to study. That is why we have gathered this to guide you in becoming a doctor. We hope you find this insightful.
- Indeed.com – What is Doctor? Definition, Types, and How to be a Doctor.
- Studymedicineeurope.com – What skills are needed to be a doctor?
- Nigerianfinder.com – Jamb Requirements for Medicine and Surgery
- Medicsdomain.com – What next after medical school in Nigeria?