Best Universities in Rwanda-Rwanda is a country I respect so much. Even though, they faced a difficult time in 1994, that a large population was wiped out by genocide, the country has been able to balance out. The country I would say is now one of the most peaceful place to live on earth. The government also is working relentlessly daily to ensure that everyone gets educated because they understand the impact education will have on their people. In fact, the best university in Rwanda is being owned and run by the government. This is not common, especially in Africa, where self-centeredness is the order of the day. In this article, you will get to know about the best universities in Rwanda and some scholarship opportunities you can have access to, as a student.
Seven (7) Interesting Facts About Rwanda
- Women make up 64% of the Rwandan parliament.
- It is the smallest country in East Africa.
- It is one of the safest countries in the world.
- Four languages are being spoken which includes Kinyarwanda (being the local dialect), French, English and Swahili.
- There was an historic genocide in Rwanda about 24 years ago that left almost 1million people dead.
- Tourism is a fast growing industry in Rwanda.
- Rwanda is bordered by Tanzania and Uganda.
Education in Rwanda
In 2003, the government of Rwanda introduced free education as part of its policy to improve school attendance most especially the deprived children.
Literacy rate in Rwanda has over the years been on a steady and forward movement. In 1991, only 58% of the population older than 15 were literate but as at 2021, about 65% of population older than 15 are literate.
Three categories of schools exist in Rwanda:
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Government-aided private schools
Twenty-four (24) Best Universities in Rwanda
- University of Rwanda
- African Leadership University, Rwanda
- University of Global Health Equity, Kigali
- Ruhengeri Institute of Higher Education, Musanze
- University of Lay Adventists of Kigali
- University of Kigali, Kigali
- University of Tourism Technology and Business studies
- Catholic University of Rwanda, Butare
- Institute of Legal Practice and development, Nyanza
- Kigali Independent University
- University of Kibungo
- Adventist University of Central Africa, Kigali
- Protestant Institute of Arts and Social Sciences
- Kibogora Polytechnic, Nyamasheke
- Catholic University of Kabgayi, Gitarama.
- University of Gitwe, Nyanza
- Institut Polytechnique de Byumba, Byumba
- KIM University, Kigali
- East African University, Rwanda
- Vatel School, Rwanda
- Christian University of Rwanda
- Mahatma Ghandi University, Rwanda
- Nile Source Polytechnic of Applied Arts, Butare
- Rusizi International University, Rusizi
The best cities to study in Rwanda based on the number of universities and their ranks are Kigali, Musanze, Butare and Nyanza.
The average cost of living for a student in Rwanda is about $343 +$40.287 for rent.
University of Rwanda
This university is the best university in Rwanda and also the largest higher education institution. The university was formed in 2013 through the merger of different public institutions of higher learning.
There are six faculties
- College of Arts and Social Sciences
- College of Agriculture, Animal sciences and Veterinary Medicine
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education
- College of Medicine and health sciences
- College of Science and technology
The university has a total of 14 campuses.
African Leadership University, Rwanda
This is the second best university in Rwanda. It is a network of tertiary institutions
The university has saddled itself with a mission to enhance the transformation of Africa. This will be accomplished by grooming new generations of ethical and entrepreneurial leaders, who will in turn generate a ripple effect across and beyond Africa.
University of Global Health Equity
This university offers postgraduate training on global health issues. The program is run at Master’s level. Some of the things that you will learn include:
- Health and social research methods
- Global health and global citizenship
- Health systems and policy
- Management Studies
Students have the opportunity to work in a professional environment in the health and development sector in the U.K and other countries.
Ruhengeri Institute of Higher Education, Musanze
This institute located in the urban setting of the small city of Musanze was founded in 2003. It is a private higher education that is officially recognized and approved by the ministry of Education of Rwanda.
International students are well accepted in this institute. Some of the facilities in this school include library, housing, sporting facilities, financial aids, scholarships.
Online and distance learning opportunities are also available for students faraway.
The faculties include:
- Faculty of Applied Fundamental Sciences
- Faculty of Economics, Social Sciences and Management.
- Faculty of Education and French-English
- Faculty of Law
University of Lay Adventists of Kigali
The university located in Kigali, Rwanda was established in 1997. Even though, it is one of the youngest universities in Rwanda, it ranks in international rating.
Accounting NGN 176,237/year
Computer Science NGN 203,243/year
Environmental Studies NGN203,382/year
Law and Jurisprudence NGN 176,237/year
Management NGN 176,237/year
University of Kigali, Kigali
It is a university that has been fully accredited by the government of Rwanda.
- Business Management and Economics
- Information technology and Architecture
- School of Postgraduate studies
University of Tourism technology and business studies
It was founded in 2006.
The school offer degree courses, diploma courses and certification in some courses
Bachelor of Business Information Technology
Bachelor of Hotel and Restaurant Management
Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management
Diploma Courses include:
- Business Information Technology
- Business Management
- Culinary Arts
- Food and Beverage Services
- Housekeeping and Laundry Operation
- Leisure and Tourism Management
- Transport and Logistics Management
- Travel and Aviation Management
Certificate Short course include:
- Certificate in Airline Cabin Crew
- Certificate in Airline Cargo Handling Services
- Certificate in Airport Ground Operations
- Certificate in CERTIPORT
- Certificate in CISCO
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Services
- Certificate in Food Production
- Certificate in Front Office Operations
- Certificate in Hot Kitchen
- Certificate in Housekeeping and Laundry Operations
- Certificate in IATA
- Certificate in ICDL
- Certificate in Information Technology
- Certificate in Tour and Travel Operations
- Certificate in Tour guiding and administration
- Certificate in UFTAA
- Certified Public Accountant.
Catholic University of Rwanda, Butare
It is a private Christian University located in Rwanda. This university is very practical in its approach when it comes to imparting knowledge to their students. Students are being taught to be creative and indigenous in their way of life.
Some of the facilities in this university include; well-equipped classrooms, resourceful library, good structures and others,
The university offers both undergraduate and post-graduate courses
The faculties in this university include:
- Medicine and Pharmacy
- Art, management and social sciences
- Science and technology
- Social work
- Public health and human nutrition
- Catechesis and Religious science
Institute of Legal Practice and development, Nyanza
It was founded in 2004 in the small city of Nyanza, Rwanda. It offers continuing legal education in many areas of law. These courses provide avenue for legal professionals and paralegals to increase their knowledge on different legal topics. Courses are run in Nyanza and nationwide.
The institute also offer tailor-made training courses for its clients. Some of those courses include:
- Human Rights for Prison Officer
- Administrative Law for District and Sector Executive Secretaries.
- Negotiation, Drafting and Management of Contracts for Legal Advisors.
Scholarships in Rwanda
Root Foundation Scholarships: The major goal of the root foundation is to remove children from the streets and get them empowered through education. They help to build the talent, character and self-confidence of these children through its personal development program. The foundation gives out scholarship to vulnerable children and also empower their parents financially.
RTN Work Scholarships in Rwanda: RTN (Rwanda Telecentre Network) gives bursaries to students in Rwanda to help reduce their education costs.
AIMS Rwanda 2022 PhD and Postdoc Fellowships for African Scholars: The call for PhD and Postdoctoral Fellowship in Discrete Mathematics and Probability at AIMS (African Institute for Mathematical Sciences) in Rwanda is on.
Albert Baker Fund 2022 for African Christian Scientists
MINDS 2022-2023 Scholarship Programme in Leadership development for Africans: Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) scholarship is for young African Scholars. Beneficiaries of this scholarship will have to study in an African country other than their country home, this is to enhance and facilitate cooperation among African nations.
FAQs on Education in Rwanda
How many Institutions are in Rwanda?
There are about 34 institutions of higher education in Rwanda, 11 of them are public while 23 private-owned. In 2013, the government of Rwanda merged all public universities, leading to one public university, University of Rwanda, with six colleges.
Can a foreigner study in Rwanda?
Higher education is highly affordable both for international students and nationals
What does it cost to study in Rwanda?
There are affordable bachelor’s programs in Rwanda that cost less than 1,000 USD/year. NUR students can take their studies to the next level and obtain a master’s degree for 1,000 USD per year.
Rwanda is a promising country and on a progressive growth educationally. I won’t be surprised if in the nearest future, their economy turns out to be a major force globally. This is because of the high value the government has placed on education.