Top Ten (10) Best Law, Legal, Crime & Detective Movies of The Decade – A Must Watch
Movies have entertained all spheres of human lives from time immemorial. Whether they are courtroom dramas, lawyer movies, legal films, detective movies, etc., movies centering around the law, crime, and the courtroom have been entertaining and challenging moviegoers for about as long as movies have existed!
Sadly, there are very few good resources for those who are interested in lawyer films. Because of this, we have decided to compile a list of the best lawyer movies in chronological order, going all the way back to the 1930’s. Not only will you encounter all-time courtroom classics, but you are also sure to discover a large number of legal films that you have never even heard of before!
These movies are usually refer to as courtroom dramas, lawyer movies, legal films, etc., They are basically movies that centers around the law, crime, the courtroom and the legal profession generally. Although, while some may not have interest in this kind of movies, they really help to enlighten the public about their responsibilities and rights under the law. So, we took our time to compile some of them;
1. Just mercy (2020): Based on a true story, the young lawyer Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan) seeks to legally fight the many death row cases in Alabama. While taking on numerous cases at once, Bryan is particularly intrigued by the case of Walter McMillian (Jamie Foxx), a man wrongfully accused of a murder he did not commit. The evidence seems against him but the more that Bryan digs into this case, the more the guilty verdict seems baffling. But Bryan will also have to contend with a corrupt and racist community to finally have the charges dropped for Walter in this stirring courtroom drama.
2. Dark Waters (2019): Mark buffalola at the top of his game again in this true story about a corporate lawyer who, against all odds, takes on a case against a chemical company that’s being held responsible for a great deal of pollution. Dark Waters is directed by Todd Haynes and was released on Dec 6th, 2019.
3. On the Basis of sex (2018): The true story of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, the judge who, after a long struggle for equal rights, became the first female member of the U.S. Supreme Court. The young lawyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg also teams up with her husband Marty to bring a groundbreaking case before the U.S. Court of Appeals and overturn a century of sex discrimination.
4. Marshall (2017): Chadwick Boseman (May His soul rest in peace) featured in this biopic about the first Afro-America Supreme Court Judge, Thurgood Marshall as he battles through one of his career-defining cases as a young lawyer. Marshall is directed by Reginald Hudlin and was released on Oct 13th, 2017.
5. Denial (2016): Historian Deborah E. Lipstadt must fight for historical truth to prove the Holocaust actually occurred, when she is sued for libel by David Irving, a well-known Holocaust denier.
6. True Story (2015) : A Biglaw attorney named Hank Palmer goes back to his hometown where his father, who is the town judge, is accused of murder. Palmer sets out uncover what really happened while simultaneously reconnecting with his family, with whom he has strained and complicated relationships.
7. Arbitrage (2012): A distressed hedge fund tycoon determined to complete the sale of his trading empire makes a mistake that requires him to turn to a surprising person for assistance.
8. The Insult (2017) : This is a Lebanese Legal movie about a minor incident between a Lebanese Christian and a Palestinian refugee turns into an explosive trial that ends up dividing the two communities.
9. Puncture (2011): This is a major underdog story of drug addicted attorney who fights a large health supply company while fighting his own personal battle with addiction.
10. Conviction (2010): A Hard-working Mon completes law school in other to help her brother, who was wrongfully convicted of murder and has used up his chances to appeal his conviction using public defenders.
These movies would help even a Legal illiterate know little rights accrued to them by their various country’s Laws and also widing all law students knowledge of the Law and it’s Dynamics. Pick one and watch today!