Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, UMYU Postgraduate Courses, General Admission Requirements for PGD, M.A./M.Sc./M.Sc, M.Phil, MRD, and Ph.D for 2020/2021 Academic Session.
The Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, UMYU Postgraduate School has released the courses and admission requirements for all programmes of the School of Postgraduate Studies.
RECOMMENDED: How to Obtain UMYU Postgraduate Admission Form 2020/2021.
AVAILABLE POSTGRADUATE COURSES
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
Department of Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed. Educational Psychology
- M.Ed. Educational Management
- M.Sc. (Ed) Physics
- M.Sc. (Ed) Mathematics
- M.Sc. (Ed) Geography
- M.Sc. (Ed) Chemistry
- M.Sc. (Ed) Biology
Department of Library and Information Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Information and Record Management (PGDIRM)
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
Department of Arabic
- M.A Arabic
- PhD Arabic
Department of Nigerian Languages (Hausa)
- M.A Hausa
- PhD Hausa
Department of History and Security Studies
- M.A History
- PhD History
Department of Islamic Studies
- M.A Islamic Studies
- PhD Islamic Studies
Department of English and French
- M.A English
FACULTY OF SOCIAL AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
Department of Economics
- M.Sc. Economics
- PhD Economics
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND APPLIED SCIENCES
Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- PhD Chemistry
Department of Geography
- Postgraduate Diploma in Resource Development (PGDRD)
- Masters in Resource Development (MRD)
- M.Sc. Geography
- PhD Geography
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- M.Sc. Computer Science
- PhD Mathematics
- PhD Computer Science
Department of Biology
- M.Sc. Biology
Department of Physics
- M.Sc. Physics
Department of Microbiology
- M.Sc. Microbiology
Below are the specific and general admission requirements of the UMYU Postgraduate School:
UMYU POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Graduates of recognized Universities;
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of lower credit pass (CGPA 3.00) on a 5 point scale or its equivalent in relevant areas;
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) without Education obtained at credit level with a three years relevant postgraduate experience;
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than the above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University.
- Candidates with third class degree in areas other than Education can be considered after three years relevant postgraduate experience. Those in the Education may be considered in their area of specialization;
- All candidates shall be subjected to a selection process.
- Graduates of recognized Universities who have obtained the approved Bachelors Degree with at least Second-Class Honors (CGPA 3.00) on a 5 point scale. Candidates with Second-Class Lower who do not make up CGPA of 3.00 must possess a Postgraduate Diploma from a recognized institution with at least a credit level pass (CGPA 3.50) in relevant areas.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than the ones listed above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University.
- Candidates who possess Higher National Diploma (HND) with at least a lower credit pass (CGPA 3.00) at a scale of 5 and at least a credit pass at Postgraduate Diploma (CGPA 3.50) of a recognized Institution;
- Candidates with any Bachelor’s degree in Third Class division who have at least five years relevant working experience.
MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY (M.Phil)
- Graduates of Universities who have obtained a good Masters Degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5 point scale shall be required to register for M.Phil/Ph.D and must score a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5 point scale to proceed for Ph.d in the proposed area.
DEGREE OF DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D)
- Graduates of recognized Universities who have obtained a good Masters Degree with CGPA of 4.00 appropriate to the proposed areas of study;
- Graduates of recognized Universities who have obtained Masters of Philosophy degree with CGPA of 3.50 on a 5 point scale to proceed for Ph.D in the appropriate to the proposed areas of study;
- Candidates must possess at least a Bachelors degree in Second Class lower division (CGPA 3.00) on a 5 point scale;
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than the above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University;
- Candidate must state the proposed area of Research and submit a synopsis of not less than 500 words of the proposed topic of research.
In addition to A, B, C and D above, a candidate must satisfy the University’s matriculation requirements i.e five credit passes at the O’level to include English and Mathematics.