35 Universities Offering Agricultural Economics In Nigeria – Agriculture is one of the mainframes of any working economy. It is part of what keeps the country fueling. Imagine controlling the food supply of a country or even a continent; this could be a disaster.
That is why countries across the world strive so hard to keep the food supply in balance. As we all know, food is the basis of life and for that, it should be controlled so it won’t be a disaster.
Studying agriculture in Nigeria can be quite interesting, in fact, it is one of those programs in the universities that is highly recognised. Many universities are accredited for Agriculture and also there are universities mainly for agricultural studies.
Schools like the University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Federal College of Agriculture, Ishiagu, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, Federal University of Agriculture, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture and many others. These schools are universities that provide some great programs in Agriculture.
So here we would be looking at the universities offering Agricultural economics in Nigeria. This would be your guild in your decision-making.
So as we all appropriate management of resources is very important, and that is why economics is very important in our everyday life.
Economics is a field that deals with the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services for appropriate distribution. Which economics is essential.
Agricultural economics is an applied field of economics that is concerned with the application of economics theories to utilise the production and distribution of foods and fibre products.
Agricultural Economists ensure that these agricultural products are used and distributed appropriately, by carrying out analyses that could yield a better result.
Which rigorous research from economists, the government can sketch a good food policy, agricultural policy and even environmental policy.
Scopes of Agricultural Economics in Nigerian Universities
Many universities have designed what students are to learn during their years in school. The program in the study of Agriculture covers a wide range of courses. This apparently varies from school to school.
These could be topics on Agricultural sciences both theoretical and practical, other fields could include Farm Management and Production Economics, Economics Theories, Quantitative Techniques, Agric Finance and Project Analysis, and Cooperative and Economic Development. This is is a typical example of what the University of Nsukka would provide you with.
While at the University of Ibadan students are introduced to courses like Principles of Economics, Farm Management, Agricultural Marketing and Co-operation, Land-Tenure, Agricultural credit, Agricultural organization and Policy, Sociology and Agricultural Extension and others.
From both schools, you can see that all that is taught are designed toward agriculture and economics, at the end they equipped students with skills that would be needed for a more practical world.
However, this program varies on the university applied, they might provide students with a broader course. You can always check the schools’ portals for the courses available.
35 Universities Offering Agricultural Economics in Nigeria
If you are looking at enrolling on universities that offer the program of Agricultural Economics, here is a list of accredited universities that offers the programs.
- University of Benin, Edo.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo.
- Delta State University, Delta.
- The University of Ibadan, Oyo.
- Igbinedion University, Edo.
- Landmark University, Kwara.
- Ladoke Akintola University f Technology, Ogbomosho, Oyo.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Osun.
- Michael Okpara University f Agriculture Umudike, Abia.
- Osun State University, Osun.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu.
- Crawford University, Igbesa, Ogun.
- Federal University of Agricultural Abeokuta, Ogun.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun.
- Ambrose Ali University, Edo.
- Abia State University, Abia.
- Adamawa State University, Adamawa.
- Akwa-Ibom State University, Akwa-Ibom.
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Anambra.
- Bauchi State University, Bauchi.
- Bayero University, Kano.
- University of Calabar, Calabar.
- Ebonyi State University, Ebonyi.
- Enugu State University of Technology, Enugu.
- Joseph Ayobabalola University, Osun.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger.
- Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi, Benue.
- Ekiti State University, Ekiti.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola.
- Federal University f Technology, Minna, Niger.
- Nasarawa State University, Nasarawa.
- University of Port Harcourt, Rivers.
- Rivers State University, Rivers.
- Taraba State University, Jalingo, Taraba.
- University of Uyo, Akwa-Ibom.
Here we have listed 35 universities offering Agricultural Economics, with this, you should be able to select great and perfect schools to enrol with.
Benefits of Agricultural Economics
Since economics can be applied to the field of agriculture, agricultural products must be manage to achieve an optimal output.
The point of applying the economic skills or knowledge is to attain a better or more satisfactory point. here we use the theoretical concepts of economics to provide answers to the problem of Agriculture and Agribusiness. In other words, concepts like marketing, supply, demand and others are addressed with this skill attained.
Agriculture is an essential part of the world food system, the field tends to use the most advanced methods, production functions and programming models to find the relevance between cause and effect.
With agricultural economics, the government of a country can equally plan policies on food and other aspects that affect agriculture and also be able to develop programmes to elevate farmers through research made by economists.
General Admission Requirements For Agricultural Economics
Now that you are ready to apply for any of the listed schools, you should also know that each school have their admission requirements which you would need to meet up with before you can proceed.
There are various ways to gain admission into a university in Nigeria, you can go through the Direct entry process or the UTME process. Here are the requirements;
For Direct entry, students should be able to have two A-Level passes in Chemistry and one in Zoology/Botany/Agricultural Science/Biology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Geology, Economics and Health Science.
While for UTME students must have O level results with at least five credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and one of Geography, Physics and Economics.
So it is also important to know the UTME subjects to combine when sitting for the examination. Here is a good combination, Chemistry, Biology/ Agricultural Science plus Mathematics or Physics. You can visit this link for more information; https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf
Agriculture and Economics are two fields that can intertwine. Economics therefore can be applied to the field of agriculture. Having the skills gained from agricultural economics can be beneficial or essential to decision-making in agriculture.
Agricultural economics is an applied field of economics that is concerned with the application of economics theories to utilise the production and distribution of foods and fibre products. Here we have put a list of universities that offers the program. We hope this would be beneficial to your selection.
- Wikipedia – Agricultural Economics
- UNN.edu.ng – Department of Agricultural Economics
- UI.edu.ng – History of Agricultural Department
- Slideshare.net – Agricultural economics and marketing by Noriel B. Bergonio
- Nigerianscholars.com – UTME Brochure
- How to Study Public Health in Nigeria
- 30 Universities Offering Agricultural-Extension In Nigeria
- List of Online Universities in Nigeria
- Top 10 Best Inexpensive Private Universities in Nigeria