35 Universities Offering Biological Science In Nigeria Science has become a prominent part of our lives. The great things we have done through science have really impacted our lives.
From the food we eat, cloth we wear, and gadgets science has been an essential contribution. Every sector at some point does need science to progress in this modern world.
There are several fields in the larger field of science and Biological Sciences is one of many branches of science. To understand life itself, it is crucial to take science seriously.
Meanwhile, in this article, we want to see the various universities in Nigeria that offer the program, Biological Science.
Some schools have been accredited to take the program, also they might be one of the schools in Nigeria…
Biological science is an important aspect of science. It is one field that tries to understand life and living organism.
With a great understanding of life and living organisms, one can say and get more facts that could be beneficial to the betterment of human survival and more.
Biological Science is the study of life or living organism as it relates to their life adaption, life cycle, and environment. in other words, Biological Science has to do with the study of life and living things. Biological science is a field with many sub-areas such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Evolutionary Biology. This program is an interesting one to take as it comes with loads of benefits, career-wise.
There are many notable names in this field, the most notable biologist is Charles Darwin of 1809 – 1882. who is known for his multiple theories and the most controversial of all was on Evolutionary Biology.
Scope of Biological Science in Nigerian Universities
In Nigerian universities, Biological Science has several areas you can concentrate on, which could include, Biochemistry, Animal physiology, Bacteriology, Cell Biology and Histology, Chordates, Biostatistics, Evolution, Genetics, Virology, Systematic Biology, Pest Control, General Biology, Economic Botany, Basic Entomology, Physical Chemistry, Industrial Microbiology, Inorganic Chemistry, Cytogenetics, and many more.
The program provides students with theoretical and practical knowledge. Depending on what area or field you concrete on you should be able to get biological skills applicable to that field.
Your first year should include theoretical and practical works and loads of lectures, ranging from subjects like cellular biology, genetics, and epidemiology, and other practical works or fieldwork.
While you then specialize in the field in subsequent years, while you take project work in your final year while working in the lab while working on personal research. The program runs for three to four years at the University.
Universities Offering Biological Science In Nigeria
Biological Science is one of those intensive sciences in the field of sciences, as earlier stated program could last for three to four years and requires lots of concentration.
This program is practically offered in almost all universities in Nigeria except some schools, that is why we will be making a list of Universities that offers biological science in Nigeria. So in your selection process, this could seamless.
Here is a list of accredited Universities that offers the program;
- University of Lagos, Lagos.
- University of Ibadan, Oyo.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Osun.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu.
- University of Port Harcourt, Rivers.
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Ondo.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna.
- Adeleke University, Ondo.
- Augustine Univesity, Epe, Lagos.
- Akwa-Ibom State University, Akwa-Ibom.
- Bayero University, Kano.
- Benue State University, Makurdi, Benue.
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Anambra.
- Cross River University of Technology, Calabar.
- Ekiti State University, Ekiti.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo.
- Gombe State University, Gombe.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu.
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna.
- Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero, Kebbi.
- Madibbo University of Technology, Yola.
- Niger Delta University, Bayelsa.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Anambra.
- Rivers State University, Rivers.
- Veritas University, Abuja.
- Yobe State University, Yobe.
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada, Abuja.
- Adamawa State University, Mubi, Adamawa.
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti
- Covenant University, Ota, Ogun.
- Edo State University, Edo.
- University of Ilorin, Kwara.
- Landmark University, Kwara.
- Mountain Top University, Ogun.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger.
We have been able to list 35 universities in Nigeria that offers biological science program. However, some schools might have it as a different name other than biological science.
Benefits of Biological Science
Biological Science is an interesting aspect of scientific study that provides several research opportunities and enough several career opportunities.
One benefit of taking a program in the field of Biological science is the fact that there are various career opportunities, from being a doctor, nurse, virologist, Chemist, and many others. All these are great programs that provide students with great job opportunities after school.
Also, it gives answers to the basic concepts of life, what is the inception of life, and how life begins. These were all in the theory of Charles Darwin’s theory on evolution.
Biological science creates a way for scientific research, as this gives scientists room to investigate to get more information on the why and the aspect of living organisms and their benefits to human development.
Biological Science is the study of life, it studies the human body and gives clear answers to what happens to the human body, the changes, and others.
And, lastly, in today’s world, there have been a lot of health and environmental disasters. Today there are various, treatments, and drugs for several diseases. Thanks to biological science and scientist.
Admission Requirements for Biological Science
Now that you have decided on your university choice you practically would have to know what the general requirements entail and also what specific schools require.
Whether you decide to gain admission via direct entry or UTME, the requirements matter.
For Direct entry; students would need to have two A-Level passes to include one of Botany, Zoology, Biology or Chemistry or ND/NCE in related programs or subjects.
While for UTME, students would need five credit passes to include, English language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and any other science subjects.
Once you have this and have passed the UTME test, then you are good to go. Meanwhile, it is good to know what is the best subject combination for the UTME test.
You can combine Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics. This would guild you in the process. Many universities do have their special consideration for both UTME and Direct entry, you can check this link for more.
Biological Science is an integral part of human existence, thanks to biological science we now understand how living things and their environment interacts. Biological science is the study of living organisms and their interaction with the environment.
In this article, we have been able to discuss the benefits of biological Science, the scope of biological science, the concept of biological science, mainly the general admission requirements, and the list of universities offering biological science. So you should be able to make a decisive decision.
- Timeshighereducation.com – Top Universities where you can study biological sciences
- Fatherprada.com – 54 Courses Under Biological Sciences Degree
- Medicaltravel.ng – What to expect from biology degrees
- Bioexplorer.net – 6 reasons that emphasize the importance of Biology.
- Myschoolgist.com – UTME Brochure 2022/23