80 Universities Offering Computer Science In Nigeria – Computing today has been the foremost or the driving force of the modern world. In the modern world, we literally see around us all forms of computing, from automation, computation, and data programming which has driven our world into an advanced society.
Many people can’t do without these modern innovations that drive society. Take for example our phones, there are different types of mobile phones which come with different functionalities, in fact, we rarely do without them.
They are glued to our hands; from the moment we wake to the time we go to bed. This literally has become an integral part of our lives.
Computer science is a way of life that has come to stay. Saying we can’t do without this area of study is like saying we don’t want to breathe.
There are several universities in Nigeria that offer the program. We would be making a list of these schools that provides us with skillful computer science.
What is Computer Science
Although computer science in the earliest days was not what it was called, the earliest form of computation was the calculating machine that was introduced by Charles Babbage. The abacus became the earliest calculating machine.
This was used to get through the numeric tasks, of course, you can’t be talking of computation and not mention algorithms. This would lead us to notable names in the field of computation, such as Ada Lovelace and many others. This gave rise to modern computer science.
Computer Science is a science that functions on the study of computation, automation, and information. So, when talking about computer science, this covers a wide range of areas, not just computer study. This has to do with computation, data analysis, algorithms, and more.
Since the inception of computing, there have been great ad powerful machines, there were introduced. Computation was growing fast; however, the term computer science was never introduced.
In 1956, the first-time computer science was introduced in an article, it elaborated on the concept of computer science, as it was argued by Louis Fein in the creation of a graduate school of computer science, at Harvard University.
In 1962, universities started to incorporate the department into their schools. Today computer science is more about mathematics than science, as the paradigm of computer science includes, Mathematics, Technology, and science.
Career Benefits of Studying Computer Science
Since we have been able to establish the concept of Computer Science, what then are the career benefits of taking the program.
It is not just all about saying I want to study computer science but also what I gain from the field in my pursuit to establish my career goals.
Computer Science is an intensive and a well rewarding field of study. Today we see a lot of computer scientists coming up with loads of innovations that create opportunities for people.
To become a computer scientist, you would also need to develop or require certain skills that will have to push you through, this would include problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
Now, what are the job opportunities you tend to get as a computer scientist? You could be working as a System Analyst, Web Developer, Software Developer, Database Administrator, Computer Hardware Engineer, Computer network Architect, Information Security Analyst, Computer and Information manager, IT Project Manager, and many more.
All these are profitable jobs that pay well in a modern-day workspace, interestingly these jobs can also be mobile, as you can work from anywhere. Their pay for entry-level could range around thousands of Naira, say #200,000 and above.
80 Universities Offering Computer Science in Nigerian Universities
Though computer science is a critical and intensive program. There are several universities that offer the program in Nigeria; however, you would want to select the best universities for this program.
Here is a list of universities offering computer science in Nigeria.
- Ambrose Ali University, Edo.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Ondo.
- Abia State University, Abia.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna.
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti.
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo, Ogun.
- Bauchi State University Gadau, Bauchi.
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
- Bayero University, Kano.
- University of Benin, Benin, Edo.
- Benson Idahosa University, Edo.
- Borno State University, Borno.
- Bowen University, Osun.
- Benue State University, Makurdi, Benue.
- University of Calabar, Calabar.
- Caleb University, Ikorodu, Lagos.
- Caritas University, Enugu.
- Chrisland University, Ilugun, Ogun.
- Covenant University, Ota, Ogun.
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Anambra.
- Delta State University, Abraka, Delta.
- Delta State University of Science and Technology, Delta.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakiliki, Ebonyi.
- Edo University, Iyamho, Edo.
- Ekiti State University, Ekiti.
- Elizade University, Ondo.
- Kingsley Ozumba Mbadiwe University, Imo.
- Enugu State University of Technology, Enugu.
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa.
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe.
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe.
- Federal University, Birnin, Kebbi.
- Federal University of Lafia, Nasarawa.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo.
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun, Delta.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu.
- Gombe State University, Gombe.
- Gombe State University of Science and Technology, Gombe.
- Hallmark University, Ogun.
- Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rivers.
- University of Ibadan, Oyo.
- University of Ilorin, Kwara.
- Imo State University, Imo.
- Joseph Ayobabalola University, Osun.
- University of Jos, Jos.
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna.
- KoloDaisi University, Oyo.
- Kogi State University, Kogi.
- University of Lagos, Lagos.
- Landmark University, Kwara.
- Lagos State University, Lagos.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger.
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosho, Oyo.
- Mountain Top University, Ogun.
- Niger Delta University, Bayelsa.
- National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos.
- Olabisi Onabanjo, Ago Iwoye, Ogun.
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology, Ondo.
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lekki, Lagos.
- University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers.
- Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun.
- Rivers State University, Rivers.
- Salem University, Lokoja, Kogi.
- Tai Solarin University of Education, Ogun.
- Thomas Adewumi University, Kwara.
- Osun State University, Osun.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Anambra.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu.
- University of Uyo, Akwa-Ibom.
- Taraba State University, Jalingo, Taraba.
- Western Delta University, Delta.
- Michael Okapara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia.
- Veritas University, Abuja.
- Yobe State University, Yobe.
- Zamfara State University, Zamfara.
- Madonna University, Rivers.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola.
- Kwara State University, Malete, Kwara.
General Admission Requirements
We have listed a few schools that offer computer science in Nigeria, however, there are more schools in Nigeria that offer the program, you can visit this link to get more information and schools you can apply to, https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
Meanwhile, after you must have chosen a school, there are some requirements you must fulfill to complete your admission process, by scaling your O level results and UTME.
To gain admission into a university, you can do that through direct entry or UTME, for direct entry you must have two passes in science subjects including Mathematics or NCE merit in Mathematics and one other science or social science subject.
While for UTME, students must have five SSC credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics plus two other Science Subjects.
There are also special considerations for both direct entry and UTME, you can visit this link for more information, https://nigerianscholars.com/assets/uploads/2017/01/complete.pdf.
Computer Science is a program taken in almost all Universities in Nigeria, both private and public universities, I hope you get to find this contributing to your next decision in picking a university to study in Nigeria.
Computer Science is a field that covers a wide range of courses that are very cool and profitable. The area of the scientific study of computation, automation, and information. As this program has been the foremost in the modern world. It has literally affected our world in the right way.
Almost all the Universities in Nigeria offer the program, so when picking a university, you might be stuck with choices, however, you shouldn’t be wrong on your choice of university, the most important part is you develop a skill and build on what you would learn. So, I hope with our list you should be able to have a good pick of universities offering computer science in Nigeria.
- Thebalancecareers.com – Top ten computer science jobs
- Wikipedia – Computer Science
- Nigerianscholars.com – Jamb Brochure
- How to Study For a Math Test
- 35 Universities Offering Agricultural Economics In Nigeria
- Top 7 Online Job That Pays Daily in Nigeria
- 10 Best Banks For Education Loan Without Collateral