University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students; The University of Waterloo is Canada’s number one university, and it’s known around the world for its research in technology, engineering, and science. It’s a hub for innovation and entrepreneurship that fosters future leaders and promotes global connections.
The University has twelve faculties, two affiliated colleges/schools, a King Fahd School of Petroleum & Minerals Engineering in Saudi Arabia with affiliates from Waterloo Canada, and China’s Fudan University respectively
The University of Waterloo Ontario provides plenty of opportunities to get involved with student groups on campus or engage with other students through social media channels. There are various activities like movie nights, art shows, variety shows, and more.
With the wide range of programs offered at the University of Waterloo Ontario, students can develop their interests in many areas that can be individually tailored. Some notable programs include:
The prominent faculties at Waterloo include the Faculty of Arts & Science (including the Faculty of Arts & Science (Humanities), Faculty of Arts & Science (Engineering), Faculty of Engineering, and Wilfrid Laurier University with a combined total student population exceeding 65 000. The University also has a very high percentage of international students (20%), with over 1,500 students from 150 different countries.
There are some student services available at the University of Waterloo Ontario to students, such as the;
- Office of the Registrar,
- The Centre for Career Action,
- Student Awards and Financial Aid,
- Environmental Ethics Research Group,
The University of Waterloo offers its undergraduate students an array of housing options. There are over 4500 UWaterloo Residences community members from over 110 countries living on campus in 22 different residences across three campuses. In addition to a kitchen in every building, all first-year residents are air-conditioned.
University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students
These scholarships are available for international students only
The University of Waterloo is a global leader in engineering and technology. Our premier facilities and outstanding academic environment ensure that your education will be rigorous, powerful, and practical – the perfect combination for a successful future.
Applications are now open for the International Graduate Scholarship (OGS) program at Waterloo’s Faculty of Engineering from qualified international students who are seeking funding to pursue their graduate studies in any one of our offered programs beginning September 2022.
The OGS program is designed to help make an engineer’s first years in Canada financially more manageable while they establish themselves professionally in their chosen field.
Student Life at the University Of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo’s weather generally ranges from −1 °C to 30 °C with an annual mean in the low 20s. Despite this, however, spring and fall are the wettest seasons due to frequent showers and thunderstorms. Winters tend to be very mild for Waterloo. Rainfall is somewhat rare at Waterloo and averages about 15cm annually. Snow tends to occur near Lake Huron less frequently than in surrounding Ontario cities but occasionally snows at the one campus on Lake Huron.
Available courses to study at the University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students
The courses are:
- 4-year Chemical Engineering
- 4-year Computer Science with specialization in Bioinformatics
- 4-year Mathematics and Business Management
- 3-year Information Technology Management with specialization in Cognitive Computing
- 3-year Computer Engineering with specialization in Networking and Wireless
- 3-year Biomedical Engineering
- 3-year Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 1-year Applied Mathematics – Biophysics Lab
- 1-year Statistics – HR Research Methodology Lab
The school follows the route into 4-year post-secondary studies in Canada and as a whole, it accepts 90% of applicants into either the applied degree programs or research degrees.
About 60% of international students in the university will be accepted into one of its programs. Most International students are concentrated in the following fields: Information Technology, Computer Science, Mathematics & Statistics, and Engineering. International students will be provided with a Bachelor’s degree upon completion of their studies at Waterloo.
The university has one of the largest concentrations of female Ph.D. students (24%) compared to other universities in Canada.
Eligibility Criteria For International Students
To be eligible for this scholarship opportunity, you must meet the following criteria: Be enrolled in an undergraduate program at UWO and registered full-time in one of the following fields (Engineering, STEM-related disciplines), and be nominated by your faculty by November 30th.
The University of Waterloo provides approximately 550 undergraduate spaces annually to international students and has introduced the Engineering Global Innovation Strategy 2020 to double its enrollment in engineering programs within 5 years and double its population within 10 years.
How to apply for the University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students
To apply for University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students, here are some steps to take:
- Fill out the online scholarship application form
- Submit the required documents listed on the application form
- If selected, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your documents and providing you with more information
- More information about what to do after receiving this email will be sent to your mail
- Apply for your visa
- We will automatically check for your visa eligibility and send you an email with the required documents to apply for a student visa in which to enter Canada
- Meet with a representative from the International Student Visa Office at the U.S. Consulate in Toronto before you arrive and complete the immigration requirements if necessary to meet immigration requirements before entering Canada
- Once you arrive in Canada, you will complete your immigration requirements and be issued a study permit
- Apply for an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students in the Student Service Centre at the University of Waterloo
- Complete all coursework requirements listed on the UWaterloo Graduate Study Permit Foundation Selection Form and supporting documentation
- You are not eligible to receive an OGS if any of your studies do not fulfill the full-time residency program requirements. You are also not eligible to receive an OGS if you have studied full-time at another university or college within the previous 5 years.
Documents Needed to Apply for the University of Waterloo Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) for International Students
These are the documents needed to apply:
- International Student Application
- English Language Proficiency Certificate (if the language of instruction of your bachelor’s degree was not English)
- Official Transcripts (university or high school) from all colleges/universities attended and courses taken. A photocopy is fine, as long as it’s certified by a person authorized to certify transcripts, like a Registrar or an Admissions Officer. Photocopies without an official seal are NOT acceptable.
Note: If you have received a grade higher than “C” in six credits of undergraduate level coursework in any engineering discipline at the University of Waterloo, you DO NOT need a transcript(s). Refer to Schedule 2 for more information.
Some programs/faculties may require additional admission documents to be submitted.
Benefits of Studying University of Waterloo Ontario
The benefits are:
- You get to choose what you want to study
- You can only study one of the many subjects offered
- Average tuition costs are lower than most other universities in Canada
- The city is extremely accessible
- Student life includes many annual events and lots of social opportunities.
There is never a shortage of things to do. The city has the second highest amount of restaurants per capita in North America, bars abound, there’s an extremely active nightclub scene, and the local sports teams are always fighting for playoffs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does University of Waterloo give full scholarships to international students?
Twenty scholarships, valued at $10,000 each, are awarded annually to outstanding international students admitted to Year One of an undergraduate degree program. International students admitted with an admission average of 90% or above will be considered.
How do I get a scholarship for University of Waterloo?
At Waterloo, we offer a variety of entrance scholarships for students entering their first year of full-time studies. Students applying to any program will automatically be considered for several scholarships, using your admissions average to determine the amount of funding you’re eligible for.
What is the acceptance rate for Waterloo?
The acceptance rate at University of Waterloo is 53%.
This means the school is moderately selective. The school expects you to meet their requirements for GPA and SAT/ACT scores, but they’re more flexible than other schools. If you exceed their requirements, you have an excellent chance of getting in.